The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi TPT:

It's been about a month now since I've visited HK's famous MongKok 'Goldfish Street' and I'd like to share my experience with a few photos of my adventure. These photos span the course of 3 days. I managed to talked my GF into going with me to act as my translator. I hope you guys enjoy!

Whew:sleep: Lots of pictures but that was basically all the photos from my visit to Hong Kong's Mongkok 'Goldfish Street' along with a few photos of stores that were not located in MongKok. Since many stores were strict about taking photos, it was difficult to take lots of pictures and capture the true essence of what Goldfish Street is really like. It's a bummer that so many stores don't allow photos, I really wish I could have shown you guys. It's pretty fantastic! Some of the owners of the shrimp specialty stores were hesitant at first but my GF really put in a good word for me which really helped because I was able to convince them to allow me to take photos of their stores for my blog. Overall, HK's MongKok 'Goldfish Street' was an amazing adventure. It was the cherry on top to my fun and awesome vacation in Hong Kong! I hope to be back really soon!

If anyone would like to get more detailed information on which stores I visited and/or other general shrimp related stuff, visit my blog at ShrimpFan. I wrote about certain stores that really stood out and if you are planning on visiting HK in the near future, it might provide a good read.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Iits nice to see how the street has evolved from selling goldish in baggies hung outside to capture plants and inverts. Someday, you'll see bags of neos hung out :)

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
It's nice how they also use quality tanks and lights. In the US most breeders do not really focus on making the tank look presentable so they generally get the cheapest Petco tanks and equipment. I love seeing not only quality shrimp but also really nice tanks.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Man I really wish we had stuff like this in the states, the fish and aquatic plant hobby is still so new here that all the stores I've ever been to have really sucked. They may have one tiny section for plants in their fish section and they may have a few types of plants but that is pretty much it. Even in the "Fish" stores here most of it is devoted to salt water which is nice and pretty but not quite what I am into. I have always loved how this hobby is very main stream in Asia, its like I have been telling people for years, buying aquarium stuff from china is not always a bad idea, if you get the right brands you will end up with a better product for far less money because fish and plant keeping is a HUGE hobby over there not a niche like here.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love how stores there just sell aquatics and shrimp. Something like that wouldn't go here in the US I think. Just not enough interest yet.
Many stores on the street level will sell both fish and shrimps. I wish the US had more interests in inverts and aquascaping. Almost every stores have beautifully scaped main display tanks. I hope the shrimp hobby in the US grows larger within a few years.

Iits nice to see how the street has evolved from selling goldish in baggies hung outside to capture plants and inverts. Someday, you'll see bags of neos hung out :)
You'll definitely find Neos in baggies hung outside store fronts. Many stores will have a mixture of plants, fish, and shrimps (mainly Neos as they're hardier) inside baggies. It reminds me of grab n go baggies.

It's nice how they also use quality tanks and lights. In the US most breeders do not really focus on making the tank look presentable so they generally get the cheapest Petco tanks and equipment. I love seeing not only quality shrimp but also really nice tanks.
A majority of the stores on HK's Goldfish Street have their main display tanks. I think it's a really big hobby in HK because of the limited scape, keeping aquariums and fish/shrimps as pet is almost ideal. Stores in HK use only glass tanks, all rimless, and all with great equipments. Shrimp stores especially are just fully stocked. All the shrimp equipment we can ever dream of having here in the US, they have and use for their tanks.

Wow, those pictures are amazing. That had to be so so much fun! Thanks for sharing, seeing all those beautiful tanks, shrimp, and plants made my day :)
Yep! It was a pretty awesome vacation. Got to visit Korea and HK. Next trip I'm aiming for either Taiwan or Germany. If I visit Taiwan, I'm definitely doing a 1-2 day layover in HK to revisit the store owners. Those guys are great!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I think if we had a tv show on a mainstream Chanel like discovery channel. Animal plant. Even the history channel. And it focused on the aspects of aquariums. Plants. Fish. The process. And different locals where everything comes from more people would get interested and understand why some plants and livestock are as expensive as they are. And be more appreciative of preserving wildlife and taking care of them like a son or daughter. But alas it's wishful thinking, I have customers come in and tell me they want a tank like they seen on tanked. I usually tell them it takes time and research as well as a lot of patience.

But seriously those are amazing. I've been ordering more hard goods from kh and Taiwan lately as they have more of a channel to make and sell this kinda stuff, a lot better quality than most made in the us.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Petco will never be the same.
And all those small plants. I have two 10g tanks and finding a plant small enough
is one of if not my hardest thing to do with them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey Ha,

Was it hard looking at all of those awesome shrimp and not be able to buy them to take back home to the States with you? To me, that would be the most torturous part of the trip.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Ha,

Was it hard looking at all of those awesome shrimp and not be able to buy them to take back home to the States with you? To me, that would be the most torturous part of the trip.
How did you know I came back empty handed?:flick: Let me start by saying that I DID NOT smuggle shrimps back. I do not condone doing it, it's risky, and just not worth it. BUT, I was lucky enough to know the owner at Nigons. Tat really helped me with the process of bring some Nikishi PRL into the states legally. I was able to hand pick what I liked and he shipped it legally to some guy in New York and he shipped it to me. It took like a week, a lot of cash, and a lot of stress, but the shrimpies arrived safety. For what I paid, I probably should keep them somewhere else, but currently they're all inside my breeder box (L) right outside my newly setup ADA 17G. I still need to blog about it but I haven't had the time.

Really glad everyone enjoyed the pictures. I knew that I had to take as many pictures as I could to show people back home. It's really quite amazing to see all the aquarium stores in HK. I tried to finding Korea's version of HK's Goldfish Street but ended up finding Seaworld. :icon_sad:

For everyone visiting HK or places that is big on shrimp keeping, make sure you plan ahead! I went to Goldfish Street 3 times and still left feeling like I didn't have spend enough time.

If my GF goes to Germany this year to teach, I'm definitely going to visit. Gotta hit up that Oktoberfest and I hear the shrimp hobby is big there! :smile:

Bringing a big luggage is a MUST and having a FAT wallet realllllly helps!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.