The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my friend has a 30 Gallon aquarium with a 20-30g sponge filter and a Fluval Canister that runs 40 gallons of water I believe.

He was thinking of some sort of centerpiece fish like a honey gourami. Could that work?

Stocking listed here;
3 Mystery snails
12 neon tetras
10 guppies
10-15 Red Cherry shrimp
6 panda cories and he is planning on getting three more

This tank is planted and has a good/decent water flow as well as a medium lighting.
The Tanks paramaters are Listed here:
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
5-10 Nitrate
Temperature;77-78
pH : 7.4

This tank is 3 months old with sand/Carib-sea-eco-complete substrate as well as root tabs for the plants.
All these fish are peaceful and thriving so far, no aggression.
If it is possible we can have a honey gourami there then what changes should be made in order To do so?
The tank is very well filtrated and oxygenated too.
Thanks for any answers.
I will post a picture here as it could help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Honey's are small and great! I have 4 in my 44g pentagon now. I started off with 3 but 2 ganged up one 1 of them. I then went and got 2 more to lessen the aggression. They are all males since I cannot find females in my area. With your stocking, you should be fine to get a few.

Always leave a small gap of water between the surface and lid since they will breathe air from above the surface, its good to keep a lid so they can breathe in nice humid air. Also, floating plants are great since they will build bubble nests in them.

You could also get a single dwarf gourami - they get about double the size but still stay small at 3-4 inches. I have a single one in my 15g and it is beautiful. Just have hiding spots for your shrimp no matter what you choose.

Reactions: Planted-Jungle

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just have hiding spots for your shrimp no matter what you choose.
Yeah, thats what I was gonna warn him, that may be the only issue.
Though we do have lots of hiding spots such as in the wood, rocks, and Java moss.
I think we may eventually add a gourami or two when we’re ready.
Thanks for your info!
Ive also seen some reviews on honey gouramis on YouTube and have read about them, he has too so I think so far honey gouramis would be a good option like you said.
again thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
He was thinking of some sort of centerpiece fish like a honey gourami. Could that work?

Stocking listed here;
3 Mystery snails
12 neon tetras
10 guppies
10-15 Red Cherry shrimp
6 panda cories and he is planning on getting three more
Just have hiding spots for your shrimp no matter what you choose.
Although they are typically peaceful, honey gouramis will eat shrimp small enough to fit in their mouths. It will be fine if there are places small enough for shrimp to hide but fish can't get in

·
Registered
48 Posts
Although they are typically peaceful, honey gouramis will eat shrimp small enough to fit in their mouths. It will be fine if there are places small enough for shrimp to hide but fish can't get in
I absolutely agree with you. The are small and peaceful but will eat his shrimp!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.