The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So this is my first post on the forums and unfortunately its not to show anything off. I went to feed my fish this evening and noticed my one honey gourami was listing sideways and swimming weird. He would occasionally go to the surface and then dive bomb to the gravel and would kind of just list sideways. He sometimes would swim a little and then just kind of lay against my plants almost like they were holding him up. I placed him on the center log after the pictures and he just laid there and slowly rolled off.

I just did a 20% water change 2 days ago, added API bacteria as always and this time 1 table spoon and 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt to the new water before adding it and as always added quickstart to it before adding it. It is a 30gal tank and I have two filters set up right now because I am in the process of switching over to a new filter. The one on the left is the tetra 30 gal filter with just the normal carbon media and I put crushed coral in it in an empty bag because I was having a hardness issue 3 weeks ago. The new filter has carbon, ceramic ring bio media and sponge. Ive had both filters running for about a week now and was going to leave it that way for two more to establish the new filter before I removed the old one. The new filter is for a 60gal aquarium.

Ive had this tank set up since January and just tested the water 10 minutes ago with my API test kit, not the strips. My water parameters are the following:
GH-89.5ppm
KH-53.7ppm
PH-7.6 to 7.8
Ammonia-0 to .25ppm (It wasn't completely yellow had a slight green tint to it, my eye sight isn't the greatest and the wife ain't home to tell me what it's close to lol)
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- 0 to 5ppm ( same as the ammonia wasn't completely yellow had a slight orange tint)

Tank mates are: 3 Mollys, 2 Platys, 3 Corries, 1 clown pleco, 1 mystery snail and another Honey Gourami which is doing completely fine.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is bacterial. Isolate the Gourami in a quarantine tank or bucket with a 25 watt heater and start medicating with an antibiotic. Maracyn-Two might be good to use.

I pretty much gave up on trying to treat sick fish a long time ago. This is because I never had much luck with the treatments. I even took a sick fish in for a $200 vet visit once. I have a sick Angelfish right now that I'm feeding medicated frozen food for internal parasites. But that's treatable. My philosophy has changed from one of using books and heavily medicating sick fish to more of a hospice care mentality. I plan on setting up a nice hospice tank with plants and good filtration. And then, and this is sad, I will use clove oil to euthanize the fish if things look too bad.

Sorry about your fish. Honey Gouramis are good little guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure this is bacterial. Isolate the Gourami in a quarantine tank or bucket with a 25 watt heater and start medicating with an antibiotic. Maracyn-Two might be good to use.

I pretty much gave up on trying to treat sick fish a long time ago. This is because I never had much luck with the treatments. I even took a sick fish in for a $200 vet visit once. I have a sick Angelfish right now that I'm feeding medicated frozen food for internal parasites. But that's treatable. My philosophy has changed from one of using books and heavily medicating sick fish to more of a hospice care mentality. I plan on setting up a nice hospice tank with plants and good filtration. And then, and this is sad, I will use clove oil to euthanize the fish if things look too bad.

He ended up joining the porcelain swim team today. I was getting ready to walk out of the house and get breeder net and everything to feed it some peas and see if that worked and I just took a glance at the tank and saw it had not moved at all in awhile, took a look at it and saw it was no longer breathing. I think it was just a freak thing because its always been kind of lethargic since I got it never really ate much or anything. All my other fish are fine.

Weird thing is, I went to the local fish store to just have my water tested by them to and they had a tank of Gourami that had just came in today and 3 of them were doing the exact same thing mine was doing and they told me "yea they will be dead by tomorrow" they went onto explain it apparently has something to do with the breed I guess. The only real difference is, the store I had my water tested at is the store all my other fish are from, plants, equipment etc. But I wanted Honey Gouramis so I went to a lesser known store down the road since my normal once didnt have them. The first Honey I bought is completely fine and health but the second one is the one who died and I only bought them a week apart. So while I was at the store I went ahead and bought a dwarf gourami to put in the tank for the honey. I went to that fish store I got the Gouramis at and they had a lot of dead fish in their tanks so I think im avoiding them from now on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dwarf gourami are known for having health issues. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Its fine I appreciate it. Funny thing is I was in the infantry and I am a huge hunter, but seeing that little fella suffer and I couldnt figure out why was killing me lol some big bad guy I am, can probably thank my wife for pacifying me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buy from the most reputable dealer you can find. But, even then, no guarantees.
Unfortunately I only have 3 options where I live, Pet Smart, Another one which I know the family and I also know they have had 4 or 5 pet stores they owned shut down from unsanitary conditions for the animals and this store also happens to be where I got this particular Honey from. The last supplier has been around a long time in my area and have a good reputation they are just a very small outfit. Is there any reputable online dealers ? if so how does that process work ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Most likely Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus (DGIR). Honey Gourami's are especially susceptible.
So I went and got a dwarf Gourami from my usual store. He looked fine a couple days ago now he looks like this. I dont know if its sick or its getting attacked, I have a really aggressive molly in the tank.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I dont see any physical signs to indicate whats wrong.
Is the fish eating?
Aggression can weaken a fishes immune system pretty quickly when they are new to a tank. This opening the weaker fish to many different conditions. But, if the fish is still eating, not showing signs of weakness, it is probably just stressed. Which, like I said, can lead to some serious issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont see any physical signs to indicate whats wrong.
Is the fish eating?
Aggression can weaken a fishes immune system pretty quickly when they are new to a tank. This opening the weaker fish to many different conditions. But, if the fish is still eating, not showing signs of weakness, it is probably just stressed. Which, like I said, can lead to some serious issues.
I just gave them a little bit of food and he ate. Hes been hanging out all day in the upper level of the tank, my Honey Gourami thats still alive hangs out mid level, the mollys typically hang around bottom to mid level. I almost want to say it may be fin rot the way his bottom fin looks. I am doing a 5gal water change tonight out of 30gal. I added a table spoon of aquarium salt to my water change bucket with Prime just in case, I am really trying to avoid putting any medications or chemicals in my tank besides Prime in my water change bucket and API bacteria every once in awhile. I did a water test my PH is 7.6, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is like 5-10ppm. I have a Clown Pleco and 3 Corys, which I know none of them appreciate salt to much but typically its 1 tablespoon per gallon of water and I did 1 tablespoon in my 5 gallon bucket I use to change water with.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Its a good sign that the fish is still eating. This always tells you that any issues that are external ( a possible bacterial infection on fins) hasn't become more serious by becoming septic ( in the blood). Ive never kept Gourami's to tell you if the fins look normal or not. But, if you feel this is fin rot- and if it is minor-- the salt and clean water should help.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I'm getting my antibiotics confused. Would Erythromycin work here? My Dwarf Gourami had something similar to this. I shouldn't be surprised by your "porcelain swim team" comment that you were in the infantry. I was in the the artillery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.