The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, seriously, I thought these were ALGAE eating shrimp-- I'll admit that they usually do a good job cleaning up, but of late, they've been a terror in one of my 5g. At the moment, two of them are munching on yet another ghost shrimp that I watched them ambush and kill (I really don't know how many that makes,) but I've also seen them kill a butterfly loach (sad too, because he was really cool,) along with baby guppies, and even smaller yamato-numa-ebi. I'll post a picture soon, if I can get them to come out of their little grove, but I'm about 100% certain that these are just Caridina japonica- the've just gotten really big and lazy.

So, the question is, have any of you had this problem before, or did I just end up with the Manson family of the invertibrate world?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Doesn't sound like typical amano shrimp behavior. I've had them with CRS, dwarf corys, ghost shrimp, cherrys, CRS, and endlers. I've seen them eating cherry shrimp a couple times, but presumed it was dead and they were just being opportunistic. Can you post a pic of the shrimp?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Amano shrimps have been know to practice canabilism when there is a shortage of food available. But they do not hunt fry ...
I've seem other kinds of shrimps that do hunt fry though. I think you might have some time other than amano shrimp.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I could very easily be wrong, but I'm under the presumption that most inverts we keep are omnivorous to an extent, so given a low algae content they might get frisky.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Mine actually clean the CRS and O-cats but never seen them "hunt" anything other then flakes off the water surface. There is plenty to eat in my tank so I haven't witnessed any killing/hunting from my japonica's but I did see them fight over a dead carcass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts