The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I finally did it! I made my first batch of shrimp/snail/fish cookies. I have some more tweaking to do on my recipe, but for my first attempt it went really well! I decided to bake this first attempt, but on my next one I plan on using the dehydrator.

Of course the real test to see if these are any good is to see how my shrimp take to it. (I made these cookies mainly for my shrimp) Well, I took a piece and tossed it into the tank. For a second it floated, but then sank like a rock. As soon as it hit the ground, the shrimp came to feast! :) But not only did my shrimp appreciate my cooking, the ottos joined in, then my pygmy corys, and then some MTS. This made me very happy!

I love the idea that I made something yummy for them to eat and that I didn't have to spend money to get it! LOL I used ingredients that I already had and it was just that simple.

I just thought I would share... :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
If only I knew your recipe, then my fish would be very happy too.:icon_mrgr

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No secret. LOL Happy to share. I wrote down the entire process so that I could make changes where necessary.

Ingredients:
Kale (raw)- from the garden. About 1 large bag full.
Granny Smith Apple - 1 apple, just cored.
Cream of Wheat - Instant packages and I used 2 packets (28g each)
Egg - I used one, but next time I plan on omitting this item.
Daphnia - freezed dried
Hermit Crab Cakes
Shrimp Pellets
*NOTE: with the last 3 ingredients, add as much as you want. I threw in about a handful of each. I would recommend grinding the crab cakes and shrimp pellets to give the cookie a more "even" consistency. Some of the pellets didn't get "pureed" so the cookies look like they have lil choco chips. LOL

I used a food processor to puree these items. The Kale and apple were first, which took the longest to get that "baby food" consistency. Then I tossed in the rest to mix throughly. It was just like cookie dough.

I found it best to cook these cookies at approximately 250 to 275 degrees. 200 degrees just took too long to cook. So preheat your oven accordingly.

Spoon (same size amount for each cookie so they cook evenly) out mixture onto a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper. Some people use greased up cookie sheets, but I didn't want oil residues in my tank. The parchment paper worked great! I first tried to make the cookies as thin as I could, but they came out too... how can I put this....too separated is the word I'm looking for. I found it was better to form medium thick cookies. At 250 degrees, it took these cookies about an hour to cook. I would just keep an eye on them at the 35-45 minute mark, to make sure they don't burn. When they are done, cool them down and freeze the portions that you won't use in week. This single batch made ~24 cookies.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, no fouling of water. I just didn't like the egg shells. They didn't grind down as much as I would have liked. I think the cream of wheat would have been a good enough binder, even oatmeal would have worked well. I just want to try it w/o egg the next time to see if there would be any differences to the cookies.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I intended these cookies to be mainly for my shrimp. Protein they get from the frozen bloodworms I feed them. I wanted the cookies to have a high calcium content. I hate blanching veggies and sticking them in the tank. This is a much easier way for me.

I also have plans to make a seaweed packed cookie. I just need to gather up all the ingredients. This cookie batch will be "cooked" using the dehydrator method.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The only thing I am worried about is the shrimp pellets and the copper they contain... Does the hermit crab food have copper as well?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Nice idea. I'm not sure if egg is a good idea, especially with egg shells, even though they maybe grounded up.

I love giving my fish and shrimp different varieties of food. I like Rain-'s shrimp bisquits, since my fish/shrimp seem to enjoy them. They are very thin and sink easy, so I'm not sure if Rain- will share her secrets to help make yours thin.

How did you come up with those ingredients?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Sounds like a great new food for our little friends. I think the ingredients were just what she had around the house, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks very much for sharing!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Nice idea. I'm not sure if egg is a good idea, especially with egg shells, even though they maybe grounded up.

I love giving my fish and shrimp different varieties of food. I like Rain-'s shrimp bisquits, since my fish/shrimp seem to enjoy them. They are very thin and sink easy, so I'm not sure if Rain- will share her secrets to help make yours thin.

I'm pretty sure satu's/rain-'s food has eggs in it. I would suggest trying to put the egg in first, then apple and kale?

I'm also in the process of making some food more for convenience but also to sell. How did yours smell? Some of mine smelled HORRIBLE! Too much good stuff blended together...

Good luck!

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
the smell is about all I can think about at this point.......*throw up in my mouth*. :hihi:

EDIT: I didn't mean to sound rude, actually I am jealous you made food that an oto would search out and eat. Never seen mine eat anything but algae! :)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
the smell is about all I can think about at this point.......*throw up in my mouth*. :hihi:
Yeah it's REALLY REALLY REALLY bad. Some family members wouldn't stay in the same room since it was so bad:eek: . I didn't notice it till I left, but the shrimp like the food so it's all good!

-Andrew

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only thing I am worried about is the shrimp pellets and the copper they contain... Does the hermit crab food have copper as well?

Nope, no copper. Omega One Shrimp Pellets and TetraFauna Hermit Crab Cakes. Neither one contains copper. I wouldn't put anything in my cookies that would harm my shrimp or other inhabitants.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I don't know about Rain's cookies she is selling, but I have seen her other recipes(as well as other people who make their own food) that called for eggs. In fact, I asked her advice a while back about the use of eggs.

I did some research over at a "applesnail" site and they have a thread where people share their recipes. I took that general idea and tweaked it to fit my own.

Neonshrimp is correct! I used items that I had available to me already. Fresh kale from my backyard (nice having a garden to pick fresh veggies and such), apples just sitting on my table (we eat alot of fruits and veggies in this household-LOL) and of course the "fish foods" (which I know are safe for my shrimp since they eat it on a reg basis).

Note: Over at the Applesnail site, there is also a very good thread that lists the Ca quantity in various veggies and fruits. Great info!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fish Newb: You know, after reading your thread about making your own cookies and how the smell was pretty bad, I was expecting the same. But nope, didn't happen! :) I've read other accounts, who make their own cookies, of the smells being pretty stinky. Mine wasn't bad at all. In fact, it smelled "grassy" and if you ever owned rabbits/vermin (hehe), an Alfalfa odor was strongly recognizable.

I must say too: I was cooking in a well-ventilated kitchen. Windows were open (nice temp during the days here in San Diego- just the nights are frigid) and the stove fan was operating on high. The smell of alfalfa wasn't bad at all in my opinion and no one complained in my house. :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
But the applesnail.net thread recipe of mine is really old, from time when I didn't have a dehydrator and that one was meant only for snails. Maybe I should add a new one there with my current way of making biscuits, but well, it's a snail forum, so maybe an old recipe meant for snails is fine in there.

Let's see, I've left out rye and rice since I don't believe they will add much to the mix (they do contain some nice minerals, but so do the other things I add). I also left the gypsum out since there's lots of calcium in soy beans (I don't use processed tofu anymore, real soy is more natural). I think I use close to 20 ingredients nowadays.

My biscuits are flat basically because I don't add rice, rye or dry things like that which will add volume to the mix and I will ground to as fine particles as possible. That also means that the finished product is about 8 times lighter than the original mixture since the needless water goes away.

I add some eggs without the shells since I don't think I need the calcium of the shells to the mix (and it sure is hard to ground it to a fine powder :D). I add the eggs just for their nutritional value, since I don't think there's need for extra binding, the dehydration itself will make sure the food stays intact.

Color Me Blue: It's great to hear that your first attempt was such a success. Keeping the aquatic pets happy with good food is so much fun. :) Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Rain! :) True too about the egg shells. No matter how long I had them in the food processor, they just wouldn't grind down into a fine powder. I too am going to try the dehydrator this time around. Keeping the cookies intact will be much easier with a dehydrator than with the oven I believe. About posting a recipe here at TPT: I think you did one. That's when I asked you about the eggs. :) It's been quite a while though, so I'm sure your recipe has changed some. Thank you Rain for your help too! :) I'm definitely going to have to try your biscuits out soon. I've seen all the fabulous reviews! :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts