The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a few beers yesterday and decided to put together a lighting hood for my 29 gallon planted tank. I have quite a few plants in the tank and have been supporting them with a single 18w marlineland t8 24" flo. I ended up placing 2 desk lamps on each end of the aquarium with 23w cfls. I noticed my fish didn't enjoy the side light very much and decided I needed a better light source from above.

Ill attach some pictures of the top hood.

It has 3 24" 20w t8's.

I am wondering about my bulb spectrum.

1 is a marineland t8 and it appears to be in the daylight spectrum 6500K?

I also have 1 Aqueon Floramax and 1 Aqueon Colormax. I noticed my fish look a lot more colorful under these lights. They seem to put off a heavy red glow.

Does anyone know much about the Aqueon Flormax/Colormax Bulbs?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have the Aqueons with those two bulbs, color is purplish red from blue and red spectrum combination necessary for photosynthetic (PAR) radiation.

I believe there are normal output, and should be more than enough for the plants you have in your tank, CO2 and water column nutrients are also important.

IMO

1) Have you considered ludwigia , as they look bushier and provide coverage for fish
2) Cabomba and wisteria look "stemmy" possibly from nutrient uptake. My wisteria looks bushier in tank without white sand substrate.
3) Have you tried root tabs? I have injected TETRA 003 with plastic syringe directly into substrate about 1/2in from plant roots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts