The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a picture of the food bagged and ready to ship.

I've changed the prices. Each bag will be $7 shipped. This bag should last quite a while depending on how much you feed. I'm estimating it will last 6 months to a year.

Some of the ingredients I used are apple, banana, bloodworms, shrimp, algae wafers, spinach, carrots, peas, dried milk (as a binder and for the calcium), and vitamins.

I've been feeding this to my cherry shrimp and they start eating it not 5 min after I drop it into the tank and here's what they were doing 10hrs later.

Sorry for the blurry photo but there's only a tiny bit left and they are still scrounging for more. :) (the piece is sitting between the large red female and the male in the front)

Please PM and post.
Feel free to ask any questions.

lil

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
your photo is under the focal length of your camera.
try pulling the camera further away, then zoom in
or crop and enlarge the better focused picture.
thanks for sharing your food with others on PTF.
we have so many people offering shrimp & snail
food that we may need to start a recipe section :hihi:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That might not be a bad idea. I went through about 4 recipes before I came up with this one. My shrimp seem to like it more than the others I've tried. I tried to get a pic from farther away but the reflection from the white shelf it's on was too bright to see anything. I went through about a dozen pics before giving up and using this one. The biggest problem is trying to get the cameras "auto focus" to focus on what you want. I need a better camera.
Thanks for the reply spypet.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would be interested in the recipe. In that there's alot of ingredients. Assume (?) cooked, not raw, then blenderize and dry? Just curious.

I appreciate that you are doing the shopping, cooking, packaging..would rather buy it than make it, to be sure. just curious.

also do you add garlic, and iodine (from shrimp pellets) I've heard good things about garlic, but all hearsay.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've added garlic to mine, and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. What it DOES do is get all the fish in the tank fighting for their portion (the cories, livebearers, etc all go nuts)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes there is Garlic in there, and ultasol is right the guppies in my tank like to fight for their share too. These float extremely well too, I have to actually submerse them before I let them go so they will sink.
Yes all the ingredients are cooked, blended and spread out on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. There are some hermit crab cakes in there too. Baking them was the worst part though. It made the house smell bad. The first recipe smelled like garlic bananas :D, and the smell didn't get any better as the recipe grew.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
". . .The first recipe smelled like garlic bananas :D, and the smell didn't get any better as the recipe grew."
Ooooo! Garlic bananas
! Yum-yum!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two bags sold pending payment. I just wanted to add that these are great for snails too. Here's a few photos of the snails eating.

And this next picture is taken 20 minutes later, they've devoured all of the food and they're searching for more. (I actually have to say I'm amazed at how quickly they devoured a 1" piece)

Here's some better photos of the shrimp taken not even 5 minutes after it was placed in the tank.

Some shrimp may take a while to get used to the new food, always remember to take out any uneaten food after 24hrs. I tried my best to make an all encompassing food. Since I made this it has been the only thing I feed to my shrimp and they seem very happy and healthy. I have not had any clouding of the water whatsoever. Thanks for all the comments. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts