The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got home from work today just glad to be home since I have a terrible cold that's going around. As usual I take a peak at my 55 gallon tank and notice my 2 kribs are hovering around a piece of driftwood. Upon closer inspection, it appears the female laid eggs ! It looks as if she's mouthing the eggs while the male keeps guard around the area. It's very cool to watch. I'm surprised because there was also a cave decoration and I was sure they would choose that. I'm pretty excited as these are the first fish I've owned that spawned. Thanks to everyone that suggested I get the kribs over the bolivian rams. The colors on these fish are quite intense. So, when should I expect to see fry ? Any advice ?

Josh

·
Registered
888 Posts
Be patient on this one.:) The kribs are excellent parents so you won't have to worry when to see the fry. Most likely a week after the eggs are laid.:)

Prepare for brine shrimp hatchery if you can or get some liquid feed. I had a suggestion in one forum about the use of hard-boiled eggs.
Get one and scrape the egg yolk with a clean utensil. Then suspend what you have scraped into a jar of water. Get a medicine dropper so you can retrieve the water containing bits of egg yolk. Squirt the food to the fry.:)
You eat the rest of the egg yolk.:icon_mrgr It would be a waste of food hence my suggestion to use a clean utensil.:hihi:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, and sorry for the late reply. The kribs either ate the eggs or moved them. I'm sure it'll happen again, so I'm not too disheartened. They're great fish, but they seem annoyed with my spaz khuli loaches. Thanks again.

Josh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts