The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there are any homebrewers (wine, beer, mead, etc...) out there who hooked their carboys up to their co2 diffusers. I've been watching my airlock bubble on a batch of plum wine and thinking "I wish I could put that in my tank!" but I don't know if it would affect the taste of the wine. Would wine yeast produce too much co2?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Darnit, I just read a thread in another forum talking about baking yeast vs wine yeast and I cannot remember the results lol.

I vaguely remember them saying that wine yeast is obivously much more efficient, and will produce for a considerably longer time than your regular house hold hold yeast. I'm not sure about how much, or if its "too much".

But, if its safe to use then you should be able to. If it ends up being "too much", just add a big of aggitation to the water and get a bit of gas exchange,

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The danger of this is if there ends up being any outflow of whats in the carboy/fermenter into your tank. Otherwise no, it should be the same thing.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The danger of this is if there ends up being any outflow of whats in the carboy/fermenter into your tank. Otherwise no, it should be the same thing.
You could eliminate that by building a diy bubble counter using a jar or bottle with water. Anything that gets out would get caught there with no chance of getting to the tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was wondering if there are any homebrewers (wine, beer, mead, etc...) out there who hooked their carboys up to their co2 diffusers. I've been watching my airlock bubble on a batch of plum wine and thinking "I wish I could put that in my tank!" but I don't know if it would affect the taste of the wine. Would wine yeast produce too much co2?
Too funny. I was just at the local fish store talking with one of the kids that worked there and jokingly commented that I could use to CO2 from my fermentation to. It would be fun to combine the two hobbies.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
i wouldnt dare potentially waste beer or wine by hooking it up to a fish tank
This.

Also, the fact is that a 5 gallon batch of beer pushes out a TON of co2 quick, then after about 3 days, basically nothing. While I usually have 4 fermenters going, I'd have to have like 20 going to have a consistent rate(and inconsistency causes algae. I promise).

Plus, the levels could easily get high, too high.

I wouldn't risk ruining a batch of good wine over a few bucks in your tank...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts