The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Anybody tried these?

2) Would all T5 bulbs in market be compatible with it(AquaticLife,Coralife,etc)?

3) It seems so much cheaper to goes this route if Colormax, 10K bulbs
are compatible, why not?

I'm interested in the 24" that comes with two 24W bulbs, no parabolic reflector, but I plan on getting that separately anyway.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You will need to make sure that you match the bulb to the ballast. T5NO ballast can not operate T5HO bulbs and T5HO ballast will fry T5NO bulbs. As long as you are using the correct bulbs for the ballast they manufacturers are interchangable.

False. I currently have FOUR T5NO fixtures running T5HO bulbs. Been that way for about a year now. Im able to find the HO bulbs cheaper sometimes than the NO bulbs. No problems at all on my end. I cant say that it will work for every fixture, but for the Coralife fixtures it works just fine.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure that all "24 inch" T5 bulbs are the same length. If not, you would have a problem since the end caps are in a fixed location on those lights.
The box had 2' numbering on it, I'll verify bulb length next time.

Weird, but the Home Depot internet catalog does not have them, must be store specific.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
False. I currently have FOUR T5NO fixtures running T5HO bulbs. Been that way for about a year now. Im able to find the HO bulbs cheaper sometimes than the NO bulbs. No problems at all on my end. I cant say that it will work for every fixture, but for the Coralife fixtures it works just fine.
You seem to be a lucky one. I have heard it is 50/50 on getting the bulb to light up. I agree on the power being lost. Interesting on the HO being cheaper than NO. Oh well what a crazy world we live in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.