The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just at Home Depot and saw 24,36 and 48" single and twin T5 strip lights! The single 24" ones were $18 something and the double 24" were something like $25.

Does anyone know about these? I was so excited I forgot to check for NO or HO- I assumed HO...

As for the DIY help, I have a tank 30x18x24. So I know one T5HO at the stop of the tank should put me in the low light category, but being a 30x18 footprint, that would make for some dark corners using a single 24" bulb.

Okay, so two staggered and spread apart. But... I reallyreallyreally do NOT want to hang a fixture. The tank is so tall that if I hang a fixture, the light will be in our eyes. I don't even know how far up to hang it to get low/med light. Plus I don't want to hang a fixture, LOL.

Soooo- what are ways that I can set up two of these strips in a DIY box, and limit the light? I was thinking of mounting them sideways, back to back and staggered? Without much of a reflector? Is this a good idea or does anyone have any other ideas?

Oh, I was so happy to see those strip lights there!:icon_lol:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no reflector at all- but seeing as how I want to limit the light, I'm thinking this might work for my needs? I'll go back and check if it's NO or HO.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
My experience is that the bulbs sold at HD are NO. I have a suspended light that sits about two feet from the edge of the couch and it hangs a couple feet above where your head ends up. The light being in the eyes doesn't even play a factor. This is a 4 bulb 48" HO lighting fixture too. Although if you don't wanna hang one, you don't wanna hang one. You could also use poles attached to the tank to hang it so that you aren't attaching anything to the building itself.

The 24" depth is what is really going to get you. You are going to need some HO lighting in order to reach the substrate with any par. I feel like a good reflector on a HO bulb will be able to bounce the light to the front as well as the back fairly well. According to Hoppy's chart a single HO bulbs will give you low-medium light towards the substrate and better lighting closer to the surface.

·
Registered
313 Posts
They are NO fixtures. My local Home Depots have been carrying them for awhile, and since then I have purchased a few of the 24" single strips for under cabinet lighting in my kitchen and one under an aquarium stand.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've never seen any 36" bulbs at HD, must have started carrying them. However I've never seen any T5HO bulbs yet in any HD.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, they were NO :( Soooo, I'm back to trying to figure out how to light all the way down to 24" and get all corners of my 20x18 footprint while staying in the low-med light range.

Does it HAVE to be T5HO? I'm not averse to using them- just that they are too powerful if I have to use two of them. What about a diffuser? What about using spiral fluorescents?

Going back to look at Hoppy's chart for the millionth time and see if anything pops out at me! Thanks for the input, guys!

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
My Home depot has 96" long T5HO fixtures that consist of two 48" bulbs...they also have 72" fixtures as well T5HO...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're HO? Really? Now darn it, why couldn't they have them shorter?

Well, I think I'm going to order 2 sun blazes, stagger them 6" apart, and *sigh* hang a box maybe 6" above the tank. I'll build the sides a little long to hopefully shield our eyes from the bright lights.

Thanks everyone for your help! I just love this community!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yup, they were NO :( Soooo, I'm back to trying to figure out how to light all the way down to 24" and get all corners of my 20x18 footprint while staying in the low-med light range.

Does it HAVE to be T5HO? I'm not averse to using them- just that they are too powerful if I have to use two of them. What about a diffuser? What about using spiral fluorescents?

Going back to look at Hoppy's chart for the millionth time and see if anything pops out at me! Thanks for the input, guys!

I use 2 T5NO with good reflectors (Catalina) and grow pretty much anything. Look at my blog pix. My 90g is 24" high.

jim

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, that's what I decided to do!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts