The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife found this guy in the lawn and I thought he was so beautiful I got out the camera. I knew rifgt away he was dead cause moles are like speed demons alive, but his eyes and ears are hardly noticed because they close up so well to burrow thru the dirt, and his/her little claws were long and cupped with dirt under them (were do you find dirt that small) and by the color of the teeth I'd sat it died of old age, but it really is a beauty even the fur seemed so very clean for a sub-terrainian animal. Tell me what you think?

and my personal favorite, for some reason Flickr or TPT wouldn't allow the full size photo where you can see the detail good.

I guess will have a few more grubs in the law next year.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That is actually a shrew. A very close relative of the mole, but do not burrow the way moles do. Mole's have larger front limbs for shoveling dirt.
But are speed demons with crazy high metabolisms. Cool little animals!

Great photos! :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
According to a explanation video by the mother, the little girl grabbed the squirrel when they weren't looking. I thought that she was a cute kid.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My cats kill so many of these little guys, it seems like twice a week I will have a half eaten one on my door step.
Its the same story at my parents' house... the garden in the back is so riddled with their tunnels that small plants will sometimes disappear down into them after a hard rain. My Mother's cat Jack spends every night out there hunting them and pretty much every morning there are the remnants of the night's catch left out on the patio. He seems to only eat their heads. Weirdo.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
According to a explanation video by the mother, the little girl grabbed the squirrel when they weren't looking. I thought that she was a cute kid.
No doubt she was cute, but squirrels can carry so many deseases that it's not worth it for a child because the immune system is not fully developed, but they did get her right into the bath.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.