The Planted Tank Forum banner

would you buy baby java ferns (~1-2" tall each) for $1.00 a piece?

• yeah!

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • no, i'd only want to buy java ferns if they were larger.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • no, $1.00 is too expensive.

Votes: 8 50.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some of you might have seen my thread about the mystery parasite plants that turned out to be baby java fern.
i thought it was cool that my java ferns were making babies at first, but now it's just a nuisance. or no, it's still cool, but also annoying. frustrating.
because the darned things keep pumping out so many little ones that i don't have space to put them all!

here's the babies i plucked a couple of weeks (maybe a month?) or so ago (sorry for the hideous/algae'd glass, none of the babies have been attacked by it that i can tell, but i scraped most of it after i took this picture (should've done it before lol)) just in case:

and here's the babies i picked today (before i put them with the above ones), not including babies i deemed too small for plucking and left on their parents (penny for scale):

so that area of my tank in front of the sponge filter is rapidly filling with these babies. i should be getting a new tank within the next week or so, so i guess i'll have some new room to put them (along with some of my overgrown water sprite).
but there's no way in heck i want to keep all of these, once they grow out i think i'll sell them on here.
or, hmm.
i'll add a poll: would you buy baby java ferns (~1-2 inches) for $1.00 each?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would buy it 1) Because it can be shipped in a regular Mail envelope and also 2) Because I can easily RAOK to another person who contributes to this Forum. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
marko: it's the normal variety.
master...: points duly noted! besides wanting to get rid of my babies (lol), i figured they'd be easier to ship that way.
aweeby (if i learned your name, i forgot it- oops): i figured as much, i like pushing the limits at first and then backing down- what price do you think would be most appropriate? i might let them grow out first anyways.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
vasectomy

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vasectomy
HA.
i'll be darned if this makes sense to anybody ("young"), but maybe they're all so good at babymaking because i name all my plants "robert," you know, like robert plant... ahem. :l

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
hm, here? maybe 2-5 for a dollar. Shipping should be close to nothing too. like what? 40c? People looking for beginner plants (and there are a lot) will be happy to hear that.

but uh. cough cough... aquabid... cough. I'm not trying to imply anything, but a handful of elodea, hornwort, and vals sold for $32 shipped last week. That's a little dramatic though. I mean, capitalism aside, I'd feel pretty guilty selling like that. anyway, if you try, just start it at a dollar, tout the low light capabilities, and hope for the best. be that one honest person.

about names, s'ok. i'm megan.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool. i'll probably do a few at like 25 to 50 cents each, depending on size, to thin them out- and then let the rest grow out.
i'm too nice to rip people off on aquabid :p.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts