The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some ghost shrimp about a week ago. I saw a berried one in the tank and specifically asked for her, because she was so far along you could see the eyes of the eggs. Anyway I got her home and put her in her own little 2.5 tank, with the reasoning she could have her babies and then I could take her out. The shrimplets would be safe, and she could go back into the main tank.

Anyway she held those eggs for what seem like FOREVER! And then this morning I look in on her, and she had molted. And her exoskeleton had eggs in it. Such a bad Mommy! I tried to shake the eggs clear of her exoskeleton with no avail. I figure well maybe the eggs had all died previously because of being moved around so much and she had finally decided to ditch them.

Well I took her out and put her back in the main tank. I went to go take a look into the 2.5 gallon, in the hopes that just maybe some had survived. And some totally did! I've definitely seen at least 3, but there are probably more hiding out in all the plant cover (At least I hope ;) )

So I recently purchased a new macro lens for my camera and have been dying to share some pictures, so I figured why not pictures of my new shrimlets! They are so tiny even my macro lens barely pics them up.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pHosting.php?do=show&type=f&id=23906&title=shrimpletc.jpg

I'm pretty happy, this is the first time anything has had babies for me. So new uncharted waters here. I just hope I can keep them alive. Any suggestions on how to do that?

·
Premium Member
6,606 Posts
Depends what kind of "Ghost shrimp" it is.

Ghost shrimp is a catchall phrase for transparent shrimp that are almost always wild caught. Most need brackish water for babies to survive.

Without knowing what kind you have, it's a shot in the dark. Good luck, my friend. Hopefully these may survive freshwater! ;)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Quite a few of the varieties of ghost/glass shrimp will reproduce in freshwater--but there's quite a few factors working against 'em.

1. They're tiny. The larvae form is itty-bitty enough that they're easily sucked up by filters.

2. They're tiny. Which means they fit in everyone's mouths-including their parents.

3. They're tiny. So they need tiny food, which isn't readily available in most tanks in the concentrations needed to ensure they find food without becoming food.

And, as stated, it's tough for the home hobbyist to figure out what variety they have to know if they need brackish water or not.

Most of the freshwater tank keepers I know who have seen verifiable 2nd/3rd generation ghost shrimp started out with a large population in a heavily planted and mature tank. And then only saw a few.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I always thought doing some selective breeding with "ghost" shrimp would be a fun project. The ghostie I have right now is showing some cool light yellow speckling all along his body. But I've never had luck getting the larvae to survive in the past.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
well judging by the pic you posted none of those will end up living cause they look like larva to me and they will need brackish water to live. its really hard to creat the right conditions for them to live. sorry to pop your bubble.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great replies, even though the outlook is pretty bleak.

I did some more digging around because I didn't realize that "ghost shrimp" was a catchall for a number of species. Although much of the info on the web was conflicting (when isn't it :icon_conf ) I think the shrimp I purchased are Palaemonetes paludosus. Based on the fact that she had about 30 large green eggs, and tiny little red bracelets. These apparently breed in fresh water, but that information is conflicting as well. I'm in no way prepared or experienced enough to turn this into a brackish set-up anyway.

Anyway I saw at least 1 of the larva/shrimplets alive and kicking this morning, so at least one made it 24 hours. I've got them alone (I took out the mom yesterday) in a 2.5 gallon with a significant chunk of floating plants as well as a piece of driftwood from my main tank with a massive amount of algae growing on it. There's no filter on it because I figured the bio load from a couple of shrimp could be handled by the plants and driftwood. I've read their best chance is adding green water to their tank, but I don't have any of that hanging around and it takes a couple of days to grow some. By the time I grew some green water they would be onto the next stage of development and eating larger food anyway.

I figure I've given them a decent shot, and if they don't make it I get my 2.5 gallon back for bigger things :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update :)

I just thought I'd post an update in case anyone was curious about my ghost shrimplets :icon_bigg

I did a water change in the shrimplet tank because the glass bottom had snail poop all over it. Anyway I used a turkey baster to suck out the water and the poops, which was tedious to say the least. While I was doing my water change I saw 6 shrimplets alive and swimming around :eek: I'm starting to feel a little bit of hope that some of them might make it, but I'm trying to squash it because I don't want to be too disappointed if they die.

They haven't really gotten any bigger, so I won't post a picture cause there would be nothing new to see. But if they do manage to get bigger I'll definitely post a picture update, and hopefully it'll be better then the last one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i have heard of ppl squeezing out the dirty stuff from their sponge filters for the shrimplets to eat. i'm not sure if that is a great idea, but u can try! =D
I do this for other shrimplets (non-ghostish anyways), and also take a mixing stick to stir up about a square inch of substate by them gently. They seem to flock to the area after a few minutes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have heard of ppl squeezing out the dirty stuff from their sponge filters for the shrimplets to eat. i'm not sure if that is a great idea, but u can try! =D
That's a very good idea that I hadn't considered. I don't have any sponge filters, but I could use one of the sponges from my canister filters maybe? Would there be a difference?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No more :(

Well I don't know what happened, but I haven't seen any ghostie shrimplets in a couple of days. Even after stirring up the plants and taking a really hard look, there are none to be found. It has been long enough since I saw one that I'm conceding defeat. None of my shrimpers made it.

I don't want to speculate about what did em' in cause it could have been so many things. Everything was stacked against em'. Oh well, live and learn. I probably won't get so excited about them next time.

But now I can set up my 2.5 gallon for something else!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
marley_kitty i woldnt not give up on shrimp. like i said before the type you had probably needed brackish/salt to live and grow to adults. it happens. i say give cherry shrimp a try. you might find it more rewarding

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
marley_kitty i woldnt not give up on shrimp. like i said before the type you had probably needed brackish/salt to live and grow to adults. it happens. i say give cherry shrimp a try. you might find it more rewarding
I have some crystal reds set-up in a species tank that are doing pretty well. No breeding yet but I only have 6 of them and I've only had them for a couple of weeks. I'll be getting more soon, I just didn't want to buy a bunch (@ $7 each from my LFS) before I knew if I could keep them alive.

I was just hoping these ghostie shrimplets would make it, and for the first week it seemed maybe. But it was not to be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.