The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I just got scared out of my shoes.

I refilled my 5lb Co2 tank a few hours ago and had it sitting in my kitchen to get up to room temp (not in the sunlight/near heat etc.) and it blew with no warning.

The fill station actually under filled it at 3lbs but the valve still blew... Not sure why it happened.

Can I replace the valve or do I have to buy a whole new tank?

For a second there I thought there was a missile attack launched from my kitchen... Never heard a sound like that before, and my cat refuses to come out from under the bed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was just a refill, either the 3rd or 4th time I have filled this tank. Bought it brand new from GLA... I'll probably reach out to Orlando, but does anyone know if I have to replace the whole tank?

Heart rate finally slowing down...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
It was just a refill, either the 3rd or 4th time I have filled this tank. Bought it brand new from GLA... I'll probably reach out to Orlando, but does anyone know if I have to replace the whole tank?

Heart rate finally slowing down...

I would probably contact GLA to see if you can get a replacement. I don't believe this is something you should do it yourself. That's just me. Or you can take a trip to Liberty Gas in Brooklyn to see if they would swap a new tank for you. Of course, you have to pay for the CO2. Let them know there are some issues with the tank. Maybe they don't care and won't charge you extra. I am sure they know how to fix it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You don't need a new tank it just needs a new burst disc installed. If there is somebody local that hydrotests co2 tanks they should be able to replace it. I dont like trade ins because you never know how somebody else treats there stuff. If you know a tank was just tested and has a new burst disc installed then where can you go wrong.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
You don't need a new tank it just needs a new burst disc installed. If there is somebody local that hydrotests co2 tanks they should be able to replace it. I dont like trade ins because you never know how somebody else treats there stuff. If you know a tank was just tested and has a new burst disc installed then where can you go wrong.

Swapping is not bad. These welding business has to be reliable. They can't sell you a broken tank because it can be dangerous. Treating their stuff? Well, is a CO2 tank. How are you supposed to treat it? Throw it around? Hitting it with a hammer? Of course not. Why would anyone do that to their CO2 tank???

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the input. The shop I got it filled at is a combination paintball/scuba shop (Stingray Ops). Not too sure they would be able to fix the burst disc so will probably end up at Liberty for a fix.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Thanks all for the input. The shop I got it filled at is a combination paintball/scuba shop (Stingray Ops). Not too sure they would be able to fix the burst disc so will probably end up at Liberty for a fix.
Stingray?? I used them few times when I was using paintball CO2. $6 per lb. :) Get it refill or swapped from a gas welding store. Liberty Gas charges about $25 for my 10lb swap. Initially I thought it was too much from my usual place ($18), Clinton Welding in LI. I like the fact that Liberty Gas actually "overfills" the tank a bit. It gives me an extra 2 weeks or so of CO2.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Welcome to the club :(

It's (1/4" NPT?) brass fitting directly opposite the outflow. If you have the part, takes 2-3 mins to swap it out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Burst disc are relatively simple to replace had several let go in my paintball days. any shop that refills CO2 tanks be they paintball or larger tanks can replace them for you.

the burst disc is there as a safety feature if it blew it's just doing it's job and preventing something potentially more catastrophic like a ruptured tank due to over pressurization.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stingray?? I used them few times when I was using paintball CO2. $6 per lb. :) Get it refill or swapped from a gas welding store. Liberty Gas charges about $25 for my 10lb swap. Initially I thought it was too much from my usual place ($18), Clinton Welding in LI. I like the fact that Liberty Gas actually "overfills" the tank a bit. It gives me an extra 2 weeks or so of CO2.
Never heard of Clinton welding, but I know about liberty. I'd be fine doing an exchange program, but do you know if there are any places open on Sunday? I won't be able to refill/exchange until after the holiday otherwise...

Thanks in advance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.