The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
i am new to this website, so please excuse if i am going the wrong way
I have a specific problem of having holes in my lotus leaves. I have gone through this website and have seen similar post , but my problem seems to be different when i try and analyse the symtoms. Here are a few details about my pond
1> Its an artificially made pond inside my garden
2> The base for sand used was used from river silt
3> It is approximately 2 feet deep
4> It houses 9-10 koi carp and 40-50 guppies
5> It was made 2 years ago
6> was believed to be a natural ecosystem with rarely feeding the fishes and no dosing of any chemical or oxygen
I do not think that it is tiger red problem , but thats just me you guys will be the best people to telll me .
In the monsoon previous year , the pond petals grew so much that they climbed out of the wall of the pond. And were so dense that you could not see the water in the pond
How ever this year it seems to be quite different . All new leaves seem to have a reddish tinge , and all fully grown leaves soon develop holes .
I dont understand what is hindering the growth of the pond leaves, And am worried that soon all will be wiped out.
I am attaching a few photographs of the problem. I hope someone can help me out soon .
Regards,
Jacob

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i never put any snails .. and I havent spotted any in the pond..
In the garden and the gazebo .. earthworms and snails are very common during monsoon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
koi??
:O
I did read about such instances ..
But nothing happened for the first two years ..
also if you see the 4th photo from the top .. the leaf above another leaf has developed holes...
now I dont think that it is possible for a koi to do that ..
it would have to jump out of the water to access the upper leaf .. eat and go back :(

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
It's probably a combination of nutrient deficiencies and kois eating. I can see the leaves are yellowing and bites on the leaves.

Yes, kois are plant eaters. Throw in you vegetable scraps to feed them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys seem convinced ..
So i shall rest my argument :)
At this point to save my plants .. i would want to ask you guys
1> How do i stop the koi from eating up my plants
2> What do i put in to remove the potassium deficiency
From what I have read .. kno3 or kh2po4
but i am not really sure if i would find them in my city .. so an alternative easily available would be great :)
and how much to use .. the tank is approximately 10x3x2 ft

·
Registered
624 Posts
For fertz, on a big pond you definitely are looking for BULK powder-form. Liquid brand-names just aren't going to cut it, even concentrate. I would just try going on ebay, search for bulk potassium you should get hundreds of results. Treating a 500g pond shouldn't be more than maybe 50$ for a year supply if you live in a temperate area. Remember, half the year your plants are dormant and a pond is not the same thing as an aquarium, aquariums tend to have extremely high stocking rates and contain tons of plant matter, ponds are always low-tech and stocked with much less plant matter, who can afford co2 system, 2x weekly 50% WC, and consistent 78F water in a huge pond yearround, even in freezing cold winter, right?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
First I would like to clarify that you actually have a tropical lily and not a lotus. I agree with there being some sort of deficiency so if the lillies are planted in pots then I would try to find some commercially available root tabs. It's normal for some of the older leaves on lillies to turn yellow or brown especially if they get covered by other leaves. As for keeping your koi from eating on them there is only one solution to that and that's to either remove the fish or the plants as koi are plant eaters. If the fish are well fed then they won't bother them as much. I have quite a few koi in my water garden along with lots of plants and they don't bother my lillies much. I make my own root tabs for my lillies using natural clay and dry ferts as I can make a 2 year supply for the fraction of the cost of a bottle of lily root tabs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok .. so i did read the entire article and the problem clearly is that this is a water lily on which koi feast and not a lotus plant .. although it is still a type of water lily only..
thank you ua hua for pointing that out ..
when i put the plant in the pond .. i did put it with a clay pot .. but no gravel..
i think i need to repot with a new soil .. will that be ok?
also as suggested i went on ebay
all i could find in my country was this
http://www.aquariumsindia.com/productlisting.php?catid=30
and this product attched
is this what i am looking for?
I dont want to remove the lilles .. so if i keep feeding koi regularly .. will they leave the plants alone??
I am not sure of what you mean by 50% wc
but its extreme temperatures here .. 48 c in summers .. 7-8 c in winters..

Thank you guys in advance .. you guys are just awesome ..
And i sincerely hope that I am not being too much of a pain

Attachments

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Repot with new soil will solve your nutrient issues.
Try feeding the koi chopped up leafy greens from you kitchen so they won't eat the lilies. Try introducing some lotus into the pond too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.