The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else had the urge to slow or stop their planted tanking and switch to another hobby?

I've been looking into dart frogs for about a year now, but in the past month, i've spent more time on dendroboard.com than any other site, TPT included.

Maybe it's attributed to the fact i just got my first dart frogs.
I've been looking into buying bromeliads and other vivarium plants just to keep kind of as stock, just like i did with aquarium plants a while back.

I've broken down 1 of my planted tanks and turned it into a viv, and took one of my nanos to my grandma's house for her a betta tank.

I now have an even balance of vivariums and aquariums in my room, the ration being 3:3,lol. And i already designed, built, and partially planted a VIV at my grandparents house, just like a few years ago i made them a 55 planted aquarium.

Just wondering who else is switching hobbies?

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
i knoow what your saying, i have always loved fish tanks, then things kinda got stagnant, i then discovered planted tanks and went crazy, got alittle slow, and now im really into shrimp and dwarf inverts!

i think it will probly be the same with you and your dwarf frogs, just a more costly conversion!!! :hihi:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've often thought about getting rid of my aquatic snakes, but I know that I would regret it. I still think about it sometimes, but everything is fully automated now including the WCs and dechlor--so all I do is feed the fish. :thumbsup: The way I like things actually! :icon_mrgr With the snakes, feeder fish, fish, plants, plumbing, electrical--its been a heck of a ride over the last 2 1/2yrs! But I've enjoyed it even when I was pulling my hair out! :thumbsup: I am Curious George and I do gravitate from one thing to another, but Somehow, for me, I think there will be atleast 1 tank of water around for many yrs to come......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
WOW, great topic.

I had a "chipped" 75g glass tank I was too scared to put water in and deceided to keep 6 dart frogs in it. WHAT a wonderful experience.

Dart frogs are wonderful animals to keep, and offer a challanging hobby. Myself, I was able to breed and sell, and give away a hundred frogs.

I was able to use most of my aquarium substrate, and an internal filter to create both a "damp" and moist environment with a small pool. My frogs flourished, I had a great breeding colony with a excellent environment.

They had a constant supply of fruit flies, form on-line store and home grown. In the summer I ventured to find their favorite, termites. I cultivated turmites from a local woodland park, they went crazy for termintes.

After several years we bought a new home and was not able to "manage" the move in the dead of winter, I lost three frogs all females, and with the intruption of food, and environment, I deceided to give the others away.

Dart Frogs seem senistive to environmental changes, With dart frogs It is important to maintain a constant environment and if you have the chance and time to enjoy them, they are wonderful.

I really miss my Darts.
http://www.califrognia.com/images/Blue_Poison_dart_frog_wmark.jpg

Regards.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I have to take time for other hobbies every so often. I have so many that I love and so little time and money for them all. It's hard to prioritize them sometimes. I'll always have my aquariums, but sometimes they have to come second so I can devote time and funds to other things.

Come spring, hopefully I will be finished with all my DIY aquarium projects. I'd like to build another r/c plane. It's been a long time since I've built, flown, and crashed one. I kinda miss that.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
So many hobbies, so little time :). I'm just looking forward to the day when I can really get back to my hobbies. Even thought I "seem" to spend a lot of time on the computer, and on forums, it's something I can pick up and put down, just spend a minute or two and then go and do something else. Most of my craft type hobbies take a lot of time. Painting (which I haven't done for years), pottery and sculpture, gardening (the terrestrial kind), maybe some real woodworking instead of doing something because I have to. I think that's why several of the house projects got a little fancier than they needed to be to be purely functional; I had to have some kind of artistic outlet! I have to make time for the aquariums and I don't like that.

I have occasionally thought of doing a paludarium/vivarium as they fascinate me, but then the sweet voice of reason kicks in :D . . .

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Cooking and fish tanks are not mutually exclusive, unless I'm making sushi :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Not a huge change, but I just got back from the in-laws for the holiday and my father-in-law has a 150 gal. reef tank. Now, I must have. Just need the funds, any donors?:icon_mrgr

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm following you there Dufus-Iv'e been spending an equal amount of time here and the dendroboard. Building a 65 gallon viv for darts in the spring:)
Cindy

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Some other things I'd like to try (though related to the hobby):

- goldfish only tank with hardy plants like izuso's
- turtle terrarium -- red-eared sliders
- marine tank -- either fish-only, or reef-focused

Carpentry would be something non-related I'd like to try.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was really into planted tanks till May of this year when I bought my 07 vstar motorcycle Now I spend my time customizing it and riding. Still like to trim my tanks but the bike is pretty fun at the moment.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I was really into planted tanks till May of this year when I bought my 07 vstar motorcycle Now I spend my time customizing it and riding. Still like to trim my tanks but the bike is pretty fun at the moment.
Please tell me you aren't riding at the moment (I notice you live in Minnesota :hihi:). I just sold my '03 VStar last spring because I didn't have time to ride! That and the fact that I hated the persnickety clutch on the thing. Even my husband, who has been riding for over 30 years, would occasionally kill the thing. Now he keeps trying to get me to get a Ninja to go with his.

But I still don't have time to ride :(.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Boy do I miss riding! I'll probably get back into it in a few years, but I had a few too many reasons to quit for now.
Cindy, don't succumb to the crotch rocket!!! LOL.
Cruising some twisties ......ah, better than therapy.
To bad riding in NYC, and the close burbs is considered a contact sport.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Boy do I miss riding! I'll probably get back into it in a few years, but I had a few too many reasons to quit for now.
<off topic> Nah, cruiser chick all the way :D! Although I haven't had his Ninja 500 out on the road, I have ridden it around the yard a few times "just to keep my hand in" and I will admit that it's a nimble little beast. I swear though, if I go back to riding (getting on up there although you see all those old codgers out on their 'Wings and trikes,) I'm sorely tempted to look at something with an automatic transmission so I don't have to deal with a $#@*!! clutch! </off topic>

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming . . . :)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

Bikes are like sailing and sex--its not about how Fast you can get there......

Its about kicking back, relaxing and Enjoying the ride!

:wink:

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming . . . :)
Ditto.....

·
Registered
322 Posts
"Bikes are like sailing and sex--its not about how Fast you can get there......
Its about kicking back, relaxing and Enjoying the ride!"

Yeah.. I had a Harley once... for a summer... I really liked the ride.

ya know they vibrate. ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts