The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an Eheim 2078 for my new 120 gallon hi-tech tank. To feed that monster I ordered Poret foam from SwissTropicals. I'm running 2" 30ppi for mechanical filtration and 1" cubes of various porosity for biological filtration.

Thing is, I ordered too much. I have 3-13x13x2 sheets of 30ppi and a large amount of the cubes left. I'm going to cut up some of the sheets to fit the SunSun HW-404B that's on my 60 gallon tank and get rid of the filter floss and SunSun pads. I still have a lot of the cubes left, and I also happen to have a Marineland Emperor 400 biowheel HOB. I've never been really successful with mechanical filtration there and use it mostly for bb on the wheels (when they actually turn.) Would it be a bad thing if I took all of the stuff (filter floss mainly) and cartridges out of the back and just fill it (not pack it) with the Poret cubes? In my mind it would work fine, but I'd like someone to confirm that my somewhat-educated guess is a good one.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I think it should be fine in the HOB. The only down side is when it is time to clean the cubes, some of the dirt may return to the tank on start up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts