The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been looking at filters for my 55 gallon. im hoping to keep the budget under 100$ (the cheaper the better of course!) drs foster and smith are having a pretty good deal for a renaxp2 for 85.99 right now, so im looking for input on that, and i've never used a canister filter before, but also never had a tank this size. would a hob filter suffice? if so, are there any that you guys would recommend? thanks in advance. u guys rock :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm.. i've been reading alot of reviews for this Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter 1000 and they seem pretty good. i think i'd like to go with this one vs the rena because it sounds like it's quieter and this tank will be in my living room. anyone second this?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't go HOB. More noise and not as efficient.
I have an XP2 on my 46 gallon and love it. I think it would be enuff filtration for your 55.
Mine is so quiet that after cleaning maintenance, I have to put my hand over the spraybar to make sure it’s pumping.
Some canisters are hard to prime. But with the XP series, after cleaning the media, you just have to install the hose disconnect and it primes automatically.
I don’t use the expensive carbon filled media that Rena sells. I buy pillow polyfill from Walmart and use that along with the sponges and polishing pad.
Charles

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just got rid of my 2 canisters and put 2 hob's on my 90 gallon. I used the Aquaclear 110's. I love them. My tank is in the living room too. Its not silent but its not loud either, sounds the same as it did with the canisters and doesnt bother me a bit. One reason I switched to hob's is because of easier maintainence. I have a penguin 350 biowheel hob and a rena smart filter hob that I dont use. I really like the aquaclears because It has a sponge that I can easily take out and clean and then put back in. I dont use carbon and so I am not stuck buying the expensive proprietary filters that the other guys have i.e. Marineland and Rena. Another reason is that Hob's seem to flow more water than an equally rated canister. The reason being, I would guess, is because the hob doesnt have to pump the water up the long tube from below the tank. I did an experiment with one of my canisters. I put the output end into the marineland 350(with the marineland off, of course) and it wouldnt pump enough water to turn the biowheels, not even close. The 3rd reason I got rid of my canisters is that in the summer they would heat the water pretty high. I couldnt get the temp down below 86 degrees this last summer with 2 canisters running. The summer before I had one hob and one canister, tank temp was 84 The hobs have the motor setting out of the water in the air (less heat transfer). One more thing, the hobs are usually cheaper too. The plus to canisters is that you can take the heater out of your tank and run one inline, also uv sterilizers and co2 diffusers can be run this way too. To me, the benefits of hobs out weigh the benefits of the canisters. Sorry this was so long but I hope it helps. Also, hello fellow Arizonaian.

Patrick

·
Registered
66 Posts
... I buy pillow polyfill from Walmart and use that along with the sponges and polishing pad.
Charles
Be careful with using furniture padding for filter media. I learned this the hard way. Check to make sure there IS NOT a label anywhere on the package that says it meets flamability requirements. I lost a few fish because of some foam I bought at a craft store. They spray these fabrics with a flame retardent.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Be careful with using furniture padding for filter media. I learned this the hard way. Check to make sure there IS NOT a label anywhere on the package that says it meets flamability requirements. I lost a few fish because of some foam I bought at a craft store. They spray these fabrics with a flame retardent.

Patrick
TRue, but polifill from Walmart is safe, I use it myself.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Jenna, consider maintenance in your descision. Rena's and Eheims have easy disconnects that make it very simple and fairly foolproof to do maint. You can plumb anything fro manual disconnects and flow cutoffs, but keeping it simple is a good thing.

These days its hard to find a loser. Have fun and welcome to the forum.

AB

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow- thanks for all the input everyone! ov10pat you put up a good argument for hob, thanks so much for posting all the details! glad to see someone else from az here, there don't seem to be many :)
i think im going with the renaxp2 mainly for the added benefit of using an inline heater and keeping clutter out of the tank. this should be enough flow right? i've had a couple people message me recommending the xp3, but it seems excessive imo

·
Registered
66 Posts
wow- thanks for all the input everyone! ov10pat you put up a good argument for hob, thanks so much for posting all the details! glad to see someone else from az here, there don't seem to be many :)
i think im going with the renaxp2 mainly for the added benefit of using an inline heater and keeping clutter out of the tank. this should be enough flow right? i've had a couple people message me recommending the xp3, but it seems excessive imo
Id recommend getting a canister that is rated for twice the capacity of your tank. ie. one that is rated for 110 gallons or more. Go with the xp3 in your case. jmo.

Patrick

·
Registered
255 Posts
Rena FTW!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
The AC-110 is a great choice for HOB, and as for the cannister I would go with a Eheim 2215. The HOB is easier to clean and maintain but the cannister will go much much longer between cleanings. All in all, prob the same effort to clean between the multiple cleanings of the HOB, and the single cleaning of the cannister, over the same amountof time. Only problem with HOB is the capacity of the filter, they dont even compare to cannisters. You could supplement the HOB with a powerhead fitted on a hydro sponge and increase the media capacity. Cannisters will definetly "polish" the water better than any HOB, just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts