The Planted Tank Forum banner

HOB overflow and sump

2505 10
I am setting up a Mr. Aqua 12G long rimless tank and am considering using a 20H as a sump, i was thinking i could use a hang on back overflow. My question is this:
is there any brand of overflow you'd recommend? what flow rate should i be expecting/wanting for a tank this size? what type of return pump will i need to pair it with?

the other alternative is hooking the spare Eheim 2217 i have up to the tank. would this be a better option?
Thanks!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eshoppes nano prefilter would work well.
thanks tom, that was actually one of the ones i was considering. i'm really debating whether i want to do a sump or not, the extra volume of water would do wonders for water conditions and stability, plus water changes would be much simpler. I am just wondering whether it is really worth it, and what i return pump i should use.

I'm wondering if i wouldnt be able to use the 2217 as the return, i have a feeling it would be very difficult to dial in the flow with that though.

another question: is it possible to DIY a reliable overflow?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'm wondering if i wouldnt be able to use the 2217 as the return, i have a feeling it would be very difficult to dial in the flow with that though.

another question: is it possible to DIY a reliable overflow?
as long as the overflow can handle more than the max ghp of the canister it should work. I don't know if that canister has a stopper in case of power outage, a couple of mine do, one does not for certain.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as long as the overflow can handle more than the max ghp of the canister it should work. I don't know if that canister has a stopper in case of power outage, a couple of mine do, one does not for certain.
i do not believe it does.

my main worry is still flooding the tank! I may order a HOB overflow rated for atleast 200gph and see how it works with the 2217 as the return.

Next question:
any advice for sump layout/design? should i be lazy and just have it be an extra volume of water with nothing but filter floss and maybe some floaters? or go the full 9?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Lifereef overflow are the best for hang on overflow types. They never fail because the tube design always allows a reservoir of water even when power fails.

If you send Jeff an email or give him a call he can answer all your questions and recommend what would work best, great customer service, he can even make your nano box fit flush with the rimless glass thickness.

I also like that he explains why his design is better than the others in great detail and customer experience over 20 years worth.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Tom just posted a link to a 'Mame' DIY overflow on the Barr report. Elegant design but I am wary of any HOB overflow if I cannot see whether there is a bubble forming on the utube part! Maybe use some clear PVC there?

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/12148-DIY-PVC-Mame-overflow-instructions

My sump is an ancient acrylic tank so my excuse is it would difficult to attach dividers to the curved sides of the tank. I just put in some Poret sponges as bio filters and put a prefilter sponge on the standpipe in the overflow box. Works great and critters that end up in the sump are just fine until I fish them out. Had a black neon fry appear and grow up in the drain part of the sump.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
I have no idea about the sump but I plan to run one on a future tank as so many people seem to have success. Seeing how you only have 12 gallons but so much room, I would personally want to be able to stock it more and adding 20 extra gallons seems like a plus. I know my response isn't helpful but I would seriously consider a sump (and I am on my next tank) in general, especially for what is essentially a gigantic nano.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no idea about the sump but I plan to run one on a future tank as so many people seem to have success. Seeing how you only have 12 gallons but so much room, I would personally want to be able to stock it more and adding 20 extra gallons seems like a plus. I know my response isn't helpful but I would seriously consider a sump (and I am on my next tank) in general, especially for what is essentially a gigantic nano.
Yep, especially since I'm keeping stock as sensitive as TB's, the extra volume of water will help keep things stable and clean!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.