The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm contemplating setting up a 40 long tank. I already have a 55 gallon setup and I'm using 2 Aquaclear 70 filters.

I was thinking about just trying one AC70 filter if I setup a 40 long given that its a smaller tank, but still the same footprint which is very long like a 55. What do you guys think? Would I be able to get away with just one AC70 on a 40 long or should I use both?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I am running an Aquaclear 70 on a 40 gallon breeder. It is at one end. The far end does not have much water movement. I think if I placed it in a more traditional location (center back) it would be fine. For me, it is good at keeping the surface moving, and the large box traps plenty of debris between cleaning.
Alternate idea:
Aquaclear 70, then add a power head to increase the water movement in any stagnant spot. It would not have to be much, perhaps one of the smaller Koralia circulation pumps.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have two Marineland Penguin filters as backups on two of my tanks, because one good thing about them is that they are pretty reliable about restarting after a power outage. AquaClears have been more balky about restarting after outages. I use foam in my Penguins and don't use the replaceable pads. The biowheel is pretty useless, and I just remove those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts