The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my high tech 40g breeder and I have a question about the Seachem Tidal 55 filter. The water from the return is pushing down the background plants and they aren't growing upwards like the plants on the left side. I am thinking about replacing the hob filter with a canister filter. I am considering a Fluval 207 canister or an Eheim 2213-37 Classic. I also want to buy a spray bar for the output to increase circulation as I have detritus building up all over the aquarium. I believe that the spray bar won't cause the plants to lean over. Am I correct?

I haven't purchased a canister filter yet as I am worried about the filter leaking and how maintenance isn't as quick and easy as a hob filter. I have seen many different sources on canister filters. Some are anecdotes of people having their filters leak. I have watched a video from Aquarium Co-op that I could add course filter foam into the canister and that would help prevent leaks as the course media takes longer to become clogged. That video always mentioned that I could add a pre filter sponge on the intake to also reduce the amount of maintenance. I have been keeping aquariums for one year now and I would like to know if I should purchase a canister filter? There is a small sponge filter too in this aquarium

Also, I have co2 injection for this aquarium and the co2 drop checker is always blue. I have a CO2Art Pro SE Series regulator with a bubble rate of one bubble per second. Do I need to increase the bubble rate, or is there another issue. Thank you ahead of time for your help.
Water Plant Rectangle Blue Wood

Plant Water Terrestrial plant Wood Aquatic plant

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
There is a DIY solution on the forum for cutting a plastic water bottle and adding it to the HOB lip to help reduce what you are seeing, not sure where it is.

Some people also use a bit of aquarium foam on the HOB lip to also reduce the force of the water.

Reactions: Thenoob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As long as you aim the outlet holes towards the front of the tank (and slightly up to get a ripple on the water surface) and not down on the plants.
Thank you. Regarding canister filters if I use course filter foam, is cleaning the filter every other week sufficient. I can clean it out once a week if needed, but are leaks likely if I miss a service one week?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you're running an Eheim Classic on a 40B, I'd go for the 2215 at a minimum. Also, I'd budget for the upgraded intake and output kits if you go that direction - they are 100% worth it. You'll thank me for it later. They make cleaning and priming that filter much easier.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thank you. Regarding canister filters if I use course filter foam, is cleaning the filter every other week sufficient. I can clean it out once a week if needed, but are leaks likely if I miss a service one week?
Cleaning it once a week? No.

If you use a pre-filter sponge on the intake, maybe once a month. Likely not even that. Clean the pre-filter sponge off in some water you drain out if the sponge and put it back on. Unless you see a noticeable drop off in flow, no need to clean it.

Also, you might want to look into a filter baffle instead of buying a 207. The Tidal is a much better filter than the 207, particularly if you make some additional filter layers out of 20ppi foam.

Etsy 3-D printed Tidal filter baffle:

LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're running an Eheim Classic on a 40B, I'd go for the 2215 at a minimum. Also, I'd budget for the upgraded intake and output kits if you go that direction - they are 100% worth it. You'll thank me for it later. They make cleaning and priming that filter much easier.
Thank you. I orginally mentioned the 2213 because the aquarium has Pseudomugil gertrudae and they originate from slow moving water. I already have a small sponge filter in the aquarium. Will the 2215 be too much flow with the sponge filter? I know that the true flow rate is less than what is on the box. I could get rid of the sponge filter as it's unsightly and my tank has been running for 6 weeks. I added FritzZyme 7 so I should have enough BB.
Regarding the upgraded intake & output, I found an Eheim prefilter on Chewy[dot]com for $16.91. Is this what you are talking about? For the outlet, do I need to buy a 12mm/16mm lily pipe that creates a vortex?

Cleaning it once a week? No.

If you use a pre-filter sponge on the intake, maybe once a month. Likely not even that. Clean the pre-filter sponge off in some water you drain out if the sponge and put it back on. Unless you see a noticeable drop off in flow, no need to clean it.

Also, you might want to look into a filter baffle instead of buying a 207. The Tidal is a much better filter than the 207, particularly if you make some additional filter layers out of 20ppi foam.

Etsy 3-D printed Tidal filter baffle:

LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for that Etsy product. I am interested in the extended covered slide for c02 aquariums. Would the Tidal 55 with that piece allow for my plants to turn colors instead of buying an Eheim canister will a lily pipe? I was watching Dennis Wong's videos in this thread. Surface agitation in co2 planted tanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you. I orginally mentioned the 2213 because the aquarium has Pseudomugil gertrudae and they originate from slow moving water. I already have a small sponge filter in the aquarium. Will the 2215 be too much flow with the sponge filter? I know that the true flow rate is less than what is on the box. I could get rid of the sponge filter as it's unsightly and my tank has been running for 6 weeks. I added FritzZyme 7 so I should have enough BB.
Regarding the upgraded intake & output, I found an Eheim prefilter on Chewy[dot]com for $16.91. Is this what you are talking about? For the outlet, do I need to buy a 12mm/16mm lily pipe that creates a vortex?
No it’s the upgraded intake and output. Look up the kits. The output is a spray bar. They’re higher volume, so a little smoother flow. It won’t be too much with a sponge filter. I’m running a 2215 on a 40B with a Koralia.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not sure why you clean you filters so often. I clean my canisters about 3 times a year. I use course, medium and fine sponges and no prefilter. With a pre filter I'd probably clean the canister once a year.
Canister filters don't leak if the filter media gets clogged. However, I have had had 2 small leaks in the 10 years I've used canister filters. One was operator error and the other was when a 10 year old filter fitting cracked.

I have a Fluval 207 and think it is an excellent filter. Just make sure it's powerful enough for your 40 g. Fluval says it's rated for up to 45 gal, which would make me think you should consider the 307. It will depend on your tank setup, stocking etc. My only complaint with the fluval is that they don't come with a spray bar. The spray bars that Fluval sells seperately to fit this filter are rated very low. I would probably do DIY or repurpose what you may already have before spending $25USD for a flimsy plastic pipe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No it’s the upgraded intake and output. Look up the kits. The output is a spray bar. They’re higher volume, so a little smoother flow. It won’t be too much with a sponge filter. I’m running a 2215 on a 40B with a Koralia.
Are these the kits that you mentioned? I'm sorry but typing in variations of "Eheim intake/output upgrade kit" into Google isn't bringing clear results and this is what I found. I watched an unboxing video of this filter and the standard intake & output are green and look different so I am assuming that these parts pictured are the upgrades.
Font Screenshot Software Web page Multimedia

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

·
Registered
48 Posts
Are these the kits that you mentioned? I'm sorry but typing in variations of "Eheim intake/output upgrade kit" into Google isn't bringing clear results and this is what I found. I watched an unboxing video of this filter and the standard intake & output are green and look different so I am assuming that these parts pictured are the upgrades.
View attachment 1035478
View attachment 1035477
Yup. That cap on the top of screws off, so when you need to reprime the filter, all you need to do is make sure the output is out of the water, fill the intake tube, and then open the valves. Presto, instant prime. They also make it really easy to clean the tubing every time I clean the filter. I wish Eheim included them with the filter. Again, totally worth it. Just realize that you need the 494 versions if you are buying them for the 2215.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I run a 207 on a planted tank with a spray bar, and it’s a good setup, in my experience. The flow is adjustable, so you can turn it down if needed. As far as maintenance, the Fluvals are easy to service and clean. They’re really not much more work than a HOB. If you use a pre filter sponge, and rinse it regularly, you can really extend the time between clean outs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts