The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if you're not injecting CO2, wouldn't using a Bio-Wheel on a HOB filter in a planted tank actually help you? The added surface agitation should cause more gas exchange, right? So it should be working both O2 and CO2 into the water. Has anyone thought about this, or even better, been able to verify/refute it?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
If you're not injecting CO2, yes, a Bio-Wheel will help keep the water aerated.

The amount of atmospheric CO2 that's diffused into water is negligible and will not, at any appreciable amount, help plant growth.

·
Registered
879 Posts
exactly what epic said

is it just me or are the prices of biowheels really expensive?
I think biowheels are expensive too. I ended up paying $75.00 each for my xp3 canister filters. Needless to say I retired my bio wheel filters.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't add CO2 but want to keep what's in there naturally. It's my understanding that pumping air bubbles or spashing around the surface (such as a bio wheel does) hurts the cause.

I removed mine from my HOB about a year ago and then added the ceramic bio things in a mesh bag inside the filter.

26g - 60w -Heavy plants, lots of fish, 20% water change / week - everything is healthy

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't add CO2 but want to keep what's in there naturally. It's my understanding that pumping air bubbles or spashing around the surface (such as a bio wheel does) hurts the cause.

I removed mine from my HOB about a year ago and then added the ceramic bio things in a mesh bag inside the filter.

26g - 60w -Heavy plants, lots of fish, 20% water change / week - everything is healthy
yeah, exactly. while injecting CO2 into a biowheel might be futile, it dosn't make them good for a non CO2 system. Remember, your fish "inhaling" oxygen and "exhaling" CO2. You don't want that finite level of CO2 to be gassed off from the BioWheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts