The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to protect your shrimp from getting sucked into your filters? I'm using hob filters and I've used filter floss or a filter pad wrapped around the inlet before. However, it's pretty unattractive. Has anyone tried black panty hose or something similar? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have 3 marineland emperors with the square intake and i use blue filter mesh on those and its ugly and thats why I am getting rid of them. The thing I like about the ati pre-filter is they come with fittings to mount horizontally or vertically. I have 3 of them and just ordered two more. This is a preference thing and thats mine :)

If you decide to go ati I would get the filter max 1 for the 10 and the filter max 2 for the 40. The filter max 3 is a high flow version and has courser sponge that shrimplets can slip through.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Locally you can get Fluval prefilters or ATI filter MAX. For tiny shrimplets, you would want the finer pore sponges so the babies don't get sucked up.

Pantyhose would work, but it's not much material so it would clog up fast.

There are cheaper sponge prefilters on eBay (pretty much unbrand Fluval prefilters). Larger pore sponges would clog less often, but again, the safety factor on pore size for shrimplets, so it would probably be best to get the finer pore sponges (you can tell just by looking at the sponge pores in the pics).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.