The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i just finished planting my new 37 gallon tank, and am going to make a DIY CO2 reactor for the tank tomorrow, but unfortunately i was forced to by a HOB Filter because of my budget even tho i new the drawbacks of having one. The guy at the suggested the penguin 200 hob filter, iv known him for a wile now and i know he has many planted tanks.

So know i want to know from you guys if any one has had success with HOB filters and if possible how to mod mine so that i dont loss all of my CO2 to quickly.

thank u

·
Registered
600 Posts
get it from wal-mart in the crafts section. (i say crafts because its slightly more manly :D ) and just put it in so that on end is under the main filter media cartridge, and the other is in the tank water.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Biowheels are great for non-CO2 injected tanks; they help aerate/oxygenate water and are also great biomedia for the N-bacteria. But live plants help with both of these functions, too, so you can definitely do fine without the biowheels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think i will try a little less movement,

one of my plants i think its a Bacopa monnieri from what i can tell from the plant profiles has little tiny tiny bubbles all over it even the stems. what does that mean?

also the bacopa and Cabombas plant have what look like a spider web looking thing hanging to the leaves and stuff. i think its some kind of goo coming from the top of some of the plants i sniped

is that bad?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tiny bubbles are usually pearling (producing oxygen) which is a good thing.

Spider web things? Algae?
algae?..... i dont think so on the second day after planting, the webs are like floating up 5 inches of the plants and are white. i also washed the plants of very carfully yesterday before planting. it looks like a secretion from a plant

BTW now that the bio wheel is gone my little peace of filter/ suck- shun cup invention has reduced the splashing to nothing more then a few ripples in the water

very happy:D:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.