The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have the UNS Delta 60 HOB canister and love it. I want one with a bit more, they are supposed to be coming out with a 90, but I have not yet found it.

So does anyone know of a canister filter that can either HOB or sit at same level as tank? It is for a 17 gallon planted.

·
Registered
484 Posts
We just picked up a Seachem Tidal 110 filter for my daughters Axolotl tank last weekend. It is everything a HOB filter should be! They payed a LOT of attention to the little details that make it an extraordinary filter. One of the features I love it the media bucket easily removes from the filter then snaps into the filter lid so it is easy to carry to the sink without splashing water every where. If you haven't looked at the Seachem Tidal filters I would recommend giving them a good look before deciding on a filter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
We just picked up a Seachem Tidal 110 filter for my daughters Axolotl tank last weekend. It is everything a HOB filter should be! They payed a LOT of attention to the little details that make it an extraordinary filter. One of the features I love it the media bucket easily removes from the filter then snaps into the filter lid so it is easy to carry to the sink without splashing water every where. If you haven't looked at the Seachem Tidal filters I would recommend giving them a good look before deciding on a filter.
Hi! Can you tell me how the self priming feature works? This is always a pain with the aqua clear hob filters. How much and what kind of media can you use in it? If you have a chance, could you explain or take a photo of the media basket?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hi! Can you tell me how the self priming feature works? This is always a pain with the aqua clear hob filters. How much and what kind of media can you use in it? If you have a chance, could you explain or take a photo of the media basket?
The pump sits inside of the tank down about 6" from the top of the rim. If the water level in the tank is closer than 5" from the top of the rim the filter primes itself. Although this sounds like it would be very intrusive into the tank it really isn't. Here is the Seachem Tidal 110 on my daughters 55 gallon Axolotl tank. The pump compartment that is in the tank comes down to the same level of the filter behind the tank and is about 1/3 the width the filter and about 1 1/2" deep (front to back). Sorry for the bad picture but you can kind of make out the pump compartment in the tank in front of the filter basin behind the tank.

Nature Wood Organism Green Room

There are a couple of protrusions on the underside of the top. These two protrusions snap into the holes on the underside of the basket. So to clean the basket we pull the bucket, let it drain for 10-20 seconds then lock it into the over turned top to then carry it into the sink. A bit more water will come out of the basket but the rim around the inside of the top of the filter will contain a good amount of water.
Property Display device Electronic device Purple Technology

Here is the basket snapped into the filter top.
Electronic device Nature Wood Organism Vegetation

Property Room Wall Ceiling Interior design

Room Property Interior design Linens Living room

I had actually ordered an Aquaclear 110 from chewy but then I found this filter and decided to give it a try so I immediately canceled the Aquaclear 110. I am very pleased with the Seachem Tidal 110. I use sumps on all of our other tanks but wanted the ease of cleaning a HOB for my daughters tank. I have never owned an Aquaclear 110. I have used Penguin Emperors previously... I have a 25 year old Emperor that still works fine but decided to try something new this time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
super helpful, thank you! I wanted to use the Oase biomaster, but they said it should not go on the same level as tank, it has to be below. So maybe I will try this one. The aqua clear is ok, but priming is a pain. Keep us posted on how well it works; does the skimmer get clogged easily, does the self primer work over time, how is the impeller?

·
Registered
484 Posts
super helpful, thank you! I wanted to use the Oase biomaster, but they said it should not go on the same level as tank, it has to be below. So maybe I will try this one. The aqua clear is ok, but priming is a pain. Keep us posted on how well it works; does the skimmer get clogged easily, does the self primer work over time, how is the impeller?
The pump is made by one of the premium pump makers... I forget the name but they brag about it in the literature.

Yep, the skimmer does get cloged with floating plants... then it automatically just starts pulling more water from the bottom intake. There is still a good amount of water entering through the skimmer though. If I was worried about it I would put some filter material over the front of the skimmer intake slots.

Simple physics... as long as the pump works the self priming will always work. There is no siphon to break in this filter like most HOB's where the pump is outside of the tank in the filter basin. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Seachem Tidal 35 for my 16 gallon betta tank. Works nicely. The self priming feature is awesome. As long as the water covers the pump it will prime. I had our power go out for rolling power outage and it started working right away when the power came back. The Sicce pump is super quiet. Can’t hear it at all. Plus cleaning is easy. Lift media basket and clean. You can use any media you want. It also comes with seachem matrix.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.