The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have recently inherited a 40gal tank with some basic aquatic plants, two ghost shrimp, a snail, 1 angelfish and 1 beta.

The angel is presenting HLLE symptoms. Appetite is good but she is restless and has erosion on her head. Beta has a good appetite but low energy.

Ive removed the activated carbon, and treated twice with general cure. Nothing happened. I have MetroPlex and am planning to treat the two fish in a hospital tank. My question then becomes, do I have to start over with a new tank? I am worried that when I reintroduce my fish to the tank that they will become infected again. Can I keep anything from my current tank (plants, shrimp, bogwood) ???

I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to this. Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Stressed fish get sick. Why may your fish be stressed? Are you regularly monitoring water quality? Do you have a regular water change and maintenance schedule? Do you feed a good variety of healthy, nutritional foods? Is your tank adequately filtered and heated? Do you have the tank set up to mimic the angel's preferred environment - soft water with plants, wood, and leaf litter? Poor water quality and general husbandry is always the first thing that should be looked at. Did their previous owner take good care of them?

Many people jump to assume HITH is a protozoan like hexamita, but that is not always the case. Watch this video from Dr. Loh on some oscars with severe HITH - no hexamita. Poor water quality and diet were a problem, though it turns out these guys actually had mycobacteriosis ('fish TB')

I would not suggest treatment in a hospital tank - moving them would be more stress, and there's really no reason to do that since it's only the two of them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.