The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HDS= high light disease.

More is better, do you feel that you must have more light to grow foreground and red plants? Does your room heat up due to the lighting? Hate your electric bill? Spent way more on the lighting than your CO2 system? Tired of pruning? Think your bulbs will burn out in 6 months?

If you answered yes to any of these, you have it.
It does appear to be an USA disease in general.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
87 Posts
It does appear to be an USA disease in general.
That's the usual American way though isn't it? More/Bigger is better :hihi:

When I first got into planted tanks a year ago, I thought I always needed more light. Just re-started a tank, but this time invested in a pressurized CO2 system instead. No need to rush here, I'll take it slow :)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
From, ahaha, recommendations from the forums :hihi: , I put 220 watts (4x55) of light over my 55. What a pain. Always fighting the algae monster, never could get the ferts balanced right, HUGE prunings every week.

The pearling was nice though :D.

I've cut one of the banks off, and just have 2wpg now, and (except for the dust algae which I can't seem to permanently eradicate) the tank is much more user friendly. Half the ferts, a moderate pruning every other week.

I can live with that :D.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
I am suffering LLD. Always trying to grow as many plants with as little as possible electricity. My 36 gal tank thrives with 1.8Wpg. 10 gal tank right now 26W, but I want to cut it down to 20W (overdrive 15W bulb).

There is a difference between low light and low wattage (but highly efficient lights).

I bet you can get good results with a 55gal tank that has a T5 54W bulb with excellent reflector. Yep, that would not even be 1 W per gallon. A lot depends on the light setup.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
I am suffering LLD. Always trying to grow as many plants with as little as possible electricity. My 36 gal tank thrives with 1.8Wpg. 10 gal tank right now 26W, but I want to cut it down to 20W (overdrive 15W bulb).

There is a difference between low light and low wattage (but highly efficient lights).

I bet you can get good results with a 55gal tank that has a T5 54W bulb with excellent reflector. Yep, that would not even be 1 W per gallon. A lot depends on the light setup.
yeah.. but i like my tanks to not only grow fast, but to look very well illuminated. also, using some form of fluorescent plus a MH gives your tank a whole new look!
the shimmering of a MH lights beats any other bulb hands down.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Amano tanks sure use a lot of light. A 17 gallon tank (60-P) that has a 150 watt MH over it?
So you are saying it's not an American disease?!?! :icon_lol:

More light is better. That is obvious. Just because most people can't balance the light and have algae problems doesn't mean high light is the problem. Inexperience is the problem.

Try growing Macrandra with anything but high light. I have heard the stories about this or that high light plant growing in low light, I have also heard stories about sasquatches and yettis. I want proof.

IME, high light is the only way to grow bright red plants.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts

More light is better. That is obvious. Just because most people can't balance the light and have algae problems doesn't mean high light is the problem. Inexperience is the problem.

Try growing Macrandra with anything but high light. I have heard the stories about this or that high light plant growing in low light, I have also heard stories about sasquatches and yettis. I want proof.

ill give that a non-religous AMEN.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

I am also in the LLD camp. Pearling is nice when I bump up nutrients, but monthly pruning are very nice now that I have a little one running around. I am saving up to upgrade 2 tanks to 2X 54W T5HO...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

No, it's not endemic to America at all.

I've seen your 37 gallon tank, what is that a 3x65 watt setup? I grew some very nice Rotala macrandra with 2x65 over my 37 back in the day. I don't like pushing light to high levels. It's not necessary. Mistakes happen a lot quicker. Plus, Illinois just had a 40% energy hike this winter. That was a fun power bill.

I've seen people put 2x65 watts or 150 watt halides over 60-P's. I didn't (One lonely 65 watt bulb), and it was plenty for anything I put in there. Toninas, erios, Ludwigia "Guinea", etc., grew just fine.

I saw a picture of Wasserpest growing Hottonia palustris in very low light.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
No, it's not endemic to America at all.

I've seen your 37 gallon tank, what is that a 3x65 watt setup? I grew some very nice Rotala macrandra with 2x65 over my 37 back in the day. I don't like pushing light to high levels. It's not necessary. Mistakes happen a lot quicker. Plus, Illinois just had a 40% energy hike this winter. That was a fun power bill.

I've seen people put 2x65 watts or 150 watt halides over 60-P's. I didn't (One lonely 65 watt bulb), and it was plenty for anything I put in there. Toninas, erios, Ludwigia "Guinea", etc., grew just fine.

I saw a picture of Wasserpest growing Hottonia palustris in very low light.
some of us like our HLD, some like the LLD syndrome, im willing to coexist.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some are cured, some are still infected.

For the record, Neil Frank, Steve Dixon have grown the nicest looking R. macrandra I've ever seen to date with 2 w/gal and that was in a 2ft deep tank.
Blood red. That was with normal FL's too.

Same with the pantanal, 60 gallon with 54wx2, rotolas etc.
All nice and red.

More light = more growth = more demand= more nutrients/CO2 = more algae growth as well should something go astray.

Perhaps George Booth was correct, none of his tanks are over 2 w/gal either.

Amano's high light tranks are spiked, he only adds high light for a brief time and pendents are not the same, they are generally much higher away from the water's surface and do not reflect the same PAR readings over the entire surface as a FL's bulb might. Get a light meter and try it yourself and see.
George did and I use a PAR meter.

I've nagged some clients into using less, everyone one of them has better results, better stability, better color.

I do not think it's a bad thing, HDL, just something that should be addressed.
Some argue that high CO2 and nutrients are not good either.

I'd argue if those are your goals(lower CO2/nutrients), then a nice non CO2 low light tank is ideal for that goal.

If you want fast growth, optimal speed etc, then high light is super.

What I do find rather disturbing and have for many years is that folks with simple slower growth goals are being told to use high light for their tanks when it's not appropriate for their goals.

This has gone on for over 8 years or so now.
However, many are realizing that you do not need nor require higher light for scapes, red plants, nor foreground plants such as Gloss, a weed I've grown easily at 1.5 w/gal of normal FL light at a much more manageable rate.

Still, your goal ultimately defines the amount of light you will want.
But it's not a requirement for scapes and other reasons such as red plants that many suggest.

Slower development allows for many plants to attain nicer color.
Also the color and intensity of the light itself can reflect your perception of light, not showing true color.

Some bulbs give nicer color to your eyes.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.