The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been noticing a trail snaking through my DSM planted nano over the last two weeks. I figure a snail of some description has come in on one of my plants or mosses.

I spotted this little guy on my way out the door this morning and quickly snapped a couple of pictures with my cell phone. Needless to say the photos are of low quality and may make it challenging to ID the little stowaway, who is only about 5mm in length, but figured I would give it a go nonetheless. Let me know if they are way too crummy to make an ID and I'll try to take some shots with the big camera this evening.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
554 Posts
2nd picture is clear enough...

It's just your basic run of the mill, "Pond snail".

Not sure if you have fish or shelled critters in your tank, but you can crush them & they'll be used as food by the other inhabitants.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. Thanks for the information. I just have to find the little bugger again. Is there any harm in leaving him in there while I dry start some hc, moss and anubias? Or will he start munching on my plants?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Physa sp. snail, also commonly called bladder snail and pond snails. these do not grow large, but are extremely common and can be a real plague. normally these snails will not damage plants. they just eat old and decaying growth and some algae.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.