The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
they dont have to have alot of fast water just alot of oxygen. so extra air stone wont hurt. i had 2 in my 55 with fairly low flow due to angels. and they did just fine.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
its pointless to use both though. water movement makes the co2 leave the water fast so its pointless to use it if you have air and power heads

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wait, so these don't need fast flowing water? And here I was getting a filter with a 17x turnover rate...

So then what is the secret to keeping these guys long term? Is good oxygenation enough in a regular aquarium (which can be easily achieved by sticking in an additional airstone with an air pump) or should the nitrates be really low too?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no experience but will opinionate this... They either need highly oxygenated smooth flowing water or a little more water flow with co2 injection to my understandment :) Either way we both can still be wrong depending on the species that you stock. It's kinda like from a Danio to a discuss type of thing. Some can make it through what ever but others just need a little more cleaning to keep the ammonia down from interfering with oxygen and co2. I believe that if your water is clean then you should be good to go. Just don't have a still tank with co2 and a weak filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts