The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I want to have a hill/mountain look in my 10gal. So I pondered the idea, and read some things related and came up with a plan. I bought a dozen sheets of the plastic hobby mesh, zip ties, some super glue and a tube of 100% silicon. I also used some fishing line to tie up the the first two upright walls to the bottom. Now I have this monstrosity that I'm not sure if I want to use or not. Hopefully you guys can give some feed back as to problems I might have over the long term.

The idea was to have elevated section that slants up into the left back corner, and a wall in the front that I could stuff moss into, and have it look like a moss covered cliff or something. I spread silicon on the floor of the raised part and the front wall of the raised part, so substrate would not come through. I originally thought it would be good to leave the mesh with its holes for circulation, but decided against it at a later time. Underneath the raised part is all open mesh, so aside from the moss, water should be able to circulate however it does underneath the raised area.

It's a little dirty after my dry run.

Here you can see the wall that will hopefully hold the substrate from eroding away:

The front wall that will hold whatever moss I decide on. I left around a 1/4" between the two pieces of mesh:

You can see the "joists" I made to hold the raised section up:

Shots of the "moss wall" being glued up:

~

Braces to hold the substrate between the structure and the glass, so the mesh wouldn't show through on the left side of the tank:

Did a dry run today to see how it would look with some substrate:

~

~

So what kind of trouble am I going to get into with this? Any thoughts? Not a big deal if it's not a good idea. It was cheap and fun to work on.

I'm thinking of some sort of carpet type plant on the raised area, with somehting leafy at the very back. Moss in the front vertical wall, and I don't know what else for the rest of the tank. I'm thinking a thin layer of regular sand in front of the contraption with no plants, since a regular depth of substrate will defeat the purpose.

I also sperated my flourite into 3 different grain sizes, and I'm thinking of just using the smaller grain in the elevated area.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That's a pretty sweet idea, I'd like to try something like that one day. I think it would look great with some kind of bushy plant and a carpet plant for the whole low area. Sweet idea, hope it turns out as good as it looks now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think it will work. I have close to the same thing in my 75G tank. It is Plexi glass and some silicone in a "L" Shape It raises one corner 4 to 5 inches. It looks good. The only problem that I have from time to time is when I do a deep gravel Vac. There is a lot if stuff in the Gravel. Now that my plants cover it They get most of it out.

I can wait to see it in and with the moss in place.

MAHA

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would there be any benefit to producing some kind of water or air flow underneath the raised area, that would flow through the "moss wall"? I thought about this for a while, but all the reading I did about tank circulation didn't compel me to continue with that thought. It seemed that tank circulation would still be better around the whole tank. I'd still love to run a hose through there and do something stupid though...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like it! And Im gonna rip that idea right off ya! :biggrin:
I wouldnt worry about extra filtration through there at all. With the plant cover it should be just fine.

Irish

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
That's pretty cool! The only possible downside I can think is that any plant that's going to get largish (like crypts, etc.,) is going to put roots through that mesh and might be a pain to move should you ever decide to do so. But I'd say that is a pretty minute problem in the scheme of things. Go for it! Will be quite interesting to see how it all comes together.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Would there be any benefit to producing some kind of water or air flow underneath the raised area, that would flow through the "moss wall"? I thought about this for a while, but all the reading I did about tank circulation didn't compel me to continue with that thought. It seemed that tank circulation would still be better around the whole tank. I'd still love to run a hose through there and do something stupid though...
The only thing that has me concerned is a build up of nasty gases over time under there.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only thing that has me concerned is a build up of nasty gases over time under there.
I was thinking of that too Aelysa, but the only thing that would really stop water movement underneath the raised area, would be the moss in the front curvy wall, and I'm thinking/hoping that there will be enough circulation through there to dilute any nasties.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I would consider putting another sheet on the top of the contraption (or slightly depressed 1/2"). It may(?) prevent anaerobic areas in that part, and I don't think you'd need all that extra substrate in that area....just a thought.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would consider putting another sheet on the top of the contraption (or slightly depressed 1/2"). It may(?) prevent anaerobic areas in that part, and I don't think you'd need all that extra substrate in that area....just a thought.
Not sure I understand what you mean. for clarification, there is no substrate below the yellow line; a shelf raises the substrate about 2" from the aquarium bottom:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Excellent idea... I'm a little leary of the acids in super glue, but the zipties and aquarium silicone sound perfect. I could easily see it in a bigger tank. Nice job! :proud:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After I started with the superglue I read that it deteriorates in water, so I switched to just using silicon, and any super glue that was there is now covered in silicon. Other than that, I did read that suuper glue is aquarium safe from several different sources.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Nice idea!

Any concerns about the gravel going "dead" I'd just make sure I had some MTS in there, and certainly wouldn't put an airstone or powerhead under it.
And actually, I'd fill that area under the "shelf" with gravel as well. I wouldn't want an empty area under there, and the MTS would stir it up for you.

The root comment might be an issue, but perhaps a piece of thin lexan siliconed in behind that "wall" would prevent that issue.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.