The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I want to warn everyone about Hikari sinking wafers. Both the shrimp and algae wafers seem to be killing my kuhli loaches. I have tested this several times. If I feed the wafers, I will find dead Kuhlis the next day. Sometimes several. I didn't realize it at first, so I started by stopping everything. Then feeding just flakes. Then other foods. As soon as I added a wafer, the next day, dead Kuhlis.
Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Can You Elaborate

Hi,

Color me suspicious.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeah, y kuhlis love them. They went from tiny and skinny to fat and healthy now after a couple years in my tank. Have you tried this with a new bag of wafers? If the wafers are the issue, it certainly doesn't happen with most batches. I just hope it was the bag that was contaminated and not a batch from the factory.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I've used the wafers for over a year as well for: pleco, cories, and shrimp. No one has had issues that can be correlated with feeding the wafer. I'd do as mentioned above and contact Hikari and ask about a bad batch, they will tell you what to look for on the bag to give them a # they'd need to cross reference if its the case. The only other thing I can think of is if you have an unfinished cycle and leaving the wafers in for a long time is spiking ammonia or nitrite and that kills the loaches. However if you put an equal proportion of flake food in it should have the same effect...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have recently started some pleco fry on Hikari micro wafers and lost several of the fry. I wonder what is the lot number of your wafers? Prior to using the wafers the fry were doing excellent and growing well. Now I wonder. PM me if you could.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Some huge co-incidental occurence ?
I find it very difficult to believe that Hikari algae wafers could somehow be contaminated ( at the factory or otherwise) to the point of killing fish, and even more of a stretch to think that uncontaminated wafers could somehow be killing the fish.

Killing the kuhlis, but not killing the shrimp ?
There's something else going on here, I believe.

Tell us more about your tank - & how long has it been set up ? How long have you had the Kuhlis ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all i see this is an older post but thought id state my experience....

I breed different variations of bristle nose pleco. I bought the Hikari Sinking wafers as they are smaller and thought it would be good for the fry. After only a few days it completely wiped out my fry tank. With over 100 fry. It never dawned on me the food could be bad. I figured it was a smaller tank that was over stocked and something happened. While this saddened me i was clueless to the fact its the food. Fast forward a couple weeks i started running low on my other wafers and started feeding these to my breeding pairs. again a few days later it had wiped out three more tanks containing 6 proven breeding groups, two were high end pleco pairs. Tested water but now new it had to be the food. Water test were all good in each tank. Some of these pairs Ive had for 2-3 years .
Contacted hikari a quite a few times via email, they tested there food from the same lot number and even test there sample from japan. there results were good . I sent them a sample of my foodwhich they tested and again came back good. There rep said this food is not good for pleco because of the high protein in it. But clearly states good for all bottom feeders on label. They did send me a couple packs of food, but wasnt near what i thought they would do. so then after a couple months of playing email tag they basically washed their hands of anything. So i thought i would do another test i fed one of my green phantom pleco the food for 4 days (3 small wafers per day) the results unfortunately were not good it died. I had it for over two years .

As ive told them im not looking for any money from them but 2 packs of food is like a slap in the face. not happy with there customer service.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I have to say high protein is bad for many plecos.
Look for low protein wafers. Strangely enough, my fish enjoy a cheap local brand more than the Hikari stuff.
My cory's won't even eat the Hikari wafers.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have to say high protein is bad for many plecos.
Look for low protein wafers. Strangely enough, my fish enjoy a cheap local brand more than the Hikari stuff.
My cory's won't even eat the Hikari wafers.
True about protein not being good for many plecos, but one meal isnt going to kill them, like the OP and the recent bumper of this thread imply.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
True, it shouldn't. I'm sure they will eat the odd bit of dead fish or bird in the wild.

How old is the food?

Also the innumerable critters they probably ingest during grazing.

I go back to my original post two years ago. I think, especially with the OP, lesser with the second, there is some secondary motive. I find it incredulous that the only mentions of this anywhere on the internet, to my knowledge, is two one-time posters here. Call me sceptical if you wish, but with multiple genuine replies from the community, and zero response from the OP, I'm confident in my thoughts that at the least, there is something else going on in the tank, and at the worst, it's a unsubstantiated attack on Hikari.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.