The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been feeding my shrimp the Hikari Sinking Wafers. I didn't see the Crab Cuisine or the Lobster Bites at my LFS, and the employee told me these were good. They're the mini wafers, and I feed two every other day (9ish shrimp).

Is this food okay? Should I hunt down something else? Am I feeding enough/too much?

I'm just going over all my shrimp care taking and seeing if I can tweak it and improve before I get some more.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I think 2 is to much, but depends what shrimp you have and size.
I feed mine 15 Cherry Shrimp 1/4 th every 2 days but I also feet them cucumber and zucchini and spinach.

You can order crab cuisine and lobster bites via evilbay.

I only have shrimp for 2 weeks now, so I don't really knwf if i m doing it right.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Even 1/8 of one Wafer will be enough if you have some moss in the tank. Otherwise you can spoil the water. I fed mine 4 Wafers per 150-200 shrimps and after 1-1.5h I'm removing leftover food.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
You can buy a shot glass for ~$1 and drop the sinking wafers into there. That way it won't spoil the Water and will be easy to clean. With the non shrimp specific hikari foods I notice they turn to mush after 2 hours so you should try and remove it before then. But definitely break the wafers into as small pieces as possible as shrimps like to run off with food.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Try getting that shot glass or another glass container to put into the tank. Then you'll be able to see if it either is turning to mush or if its being all eaten.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Look into a pellet containing mainly plant matter. The diet that you are feeding is specialized for carnivores. I would use this as a secondary diet next to something like algae wafers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts