The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just tried this food on my Red Cherry Shrimp

The package comes with a very small plastic spoon, I've fed them one "portion" of what looks like very small green pellets.

The shrimps reacted immediately when the food was placed in the water

In 10 minutes, 4 out of my 12 shrimps were eating it, they came from all corners of the tank.

It seems that they really like it, but I'll feed them just once / week, they have plenty of green algae to eat, I'll use this food as supplement only.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My shrimp love Shrimp Cuisince. They go crazy for it. I have been feeding them it from over 3 weeks now (about once a week) and have not seen any issues so far.

·
Registered
794 Posts
i also have been using the shrimp cuisine for about 3 weeks and they seem to swarm the stuff and since i have starter feeding them this they seam to be redder and growing faster. lots of molts in the tank were as before i only saw one a week at best.

·
Registered
59 Posts
this looks ok to me. no shrimp loss whatsoever (so far). the only thing i don't like about it is it floats and takes a while to sink. unlike the shirakura brand.

·
Registered
553 Posts
just tap them a little bit with your finger. Once you break the water tension, they drop down. funny thing is that my shrimp hang upside down under the floating plants, and I saw one grab it while still floating, and when it started to sink, the shrimp didn't let go and sank with it al the way to the bottom and still never let go.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
I've used that, their crab cuisine, and tetras food for years without issue. "Shrimp being sensitive" is a mostly hype. As stated more eloquently above it isn't "copper" per se that is deadly to shrimp and there are no issues with the kinds/amounts in shrimp food.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
To be a stickler for terminology, shrimp don't have blood or a closed circulatory system as in vertebrates; instead, a fluid called hemolymph sloshes about within the body cavity. The oxygen-carrying molecule in their hemolymph is hemocyanin, a respiratory protein which binds oxygen using two copper atoms.

According to this paper, decapod crustaceans (like shrimp) need around 31.3 to 38.1 μg (1 μg = 1/1,000,000 of a gram) of copper per gram of body mass "to meet the requirements of both copper-associated enzymes and the copper bearing respiratory pigment haemocyanin".

The line between need and toxicity can be fine (source), but copper is an essential trace metal required for copper-dependent enzymes in energy production, pigmentation, and so on.

We should distinguish this dietary requirement from the effects of the cupric ion (Cu+2). This is copper's major toxic species -- doing much damage to crustacean gills by inhibiting osmoregulation -- and results when copper sulfate medications are added to water (source).
Yet at those concentrations isn't all they need available in their water?

As a side note is that your website you've got linked?

-Andrew

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Sorry for the late response, but I am the southern california rep for Hikari USA.

Copper is used in the diet for shrimp because we found that a trace amount of copper helps the blood regeneration within the shrimp. Since we are using trace amounts of copper it is safe for the shrimp. Please do not pour a whole bag of shrimp cuisine into a small tank because that is just asking for trouble.

Kirby

·
Registered
167 Posts
but is it ok if i use the food daily?
and in how many amount do i feed them? right now i have 10 CRS/CBS

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first post here, so hello everybody! :)

I am a Biochemistry graduate and interested about shrimps :)

Living organisms are able to take a wide range of nutrients (including minerals) from their food/liquid intake, if that food can be digested = broke down in smaller, simpler compounds. That's why in order to provide shrimps with a very small amount of copper there is no need for copper to be added as an inorganic substance (let's say CuSO4, as in plant fertilizers). Copper can be included in some organic matter. See below the list of ingredients:

I looked in the ingredients that they have posted (see below) and I don't see any copper added so its probably just trace amounts in the other ingredients and it is probably fine.

From the Hikari website
"Fish meal, dehydrated alfalfa meal, cuttlefish meal, heat processed soybeans, flaked corn, dried seaweed meal, sodium alginate, brewers dried yeast, spirulina, wheat germ meal, cuttlefish oil, starch, lecithin, clam extract, DL-methionine, dried A. niger fermentation extract, astaxanthin, choline chloride, monosodium glutamate, vitamins and minerals including stabilized vitamin C."
As you can see it has cuttlefish meal (which includes tiny amounts of Cu as discussed above). Another source of organic copper is dried seaweed meal (some data found on the web: concentration of copper found in seaweed was between 0.01-3 mg/100 g).

The great advantage is that this tiny amount of organic copper is usually available only through digestion, and cannot contaminate water or rise to toxic levels through the regular feeding amounts that enter the aquariums. So I think daily feeding shrimps with this special formulated food it's perfectly OK.

IMHO, of much greater concern is the copper added through plant fertilizers...But that's another discussion.

·
Registered
632 Posts
but is it ok if i use the food daily?
and in how many amount do i feed them? right now i have 10 CRS/CBS

I have 5 shrimp, and I drop in 5 or so pellets every 1-2 days. By the sounds of it, I may be over feeding a touch, but not much...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have 5 shrimp, and I drop in 5 or so pellets every 1-2 days. By the sounds of it, I may be over feeding a touch, but not much...
i would feed less than that if water quality is a concern. I have about a dozen CRS and i feed them 1 pellet every 2 days. Feeding every other day seems to keep the shrimps appetite up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i agree with non compliance.....you shoudnt let your shrimp fight over just one pellet...and the pellet is sized for 1 shrimp to consume by itself....like my CRS and CBS now...there are 12 of them...and i feed them about 10 pellet daily and they seem to be happy...and now im having a berried shrimp...

·
Registered
106 Posts
i agree with non compliance.....you shoudnt let your shrimp fight over just one pellet...and the pellet is sized for 1 shrimp to consume by itself....like my CRS and CBS now...there are 12 of them...and i feed them about 10 pellet daily and they seem to be happy...and now im having a berried shrimp...
your probably right, although i wouldnt say much fighting is going on, probably because im just using regular algae wafers. once my shirakura arrives ill probably put 2-3 small portions in the tank a few times a week. I might be a little paranoid about my water quality, but with only 5 gallons of water I try to keep the water as clean as possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a small tank (20 liters, ~5.28 gallons) with over 20 CRS (mostly small and middle-sized) and 2 Atyopsis moluccensis (bamboo shrimp). It's very easy to overfeed them (->bad water-> shrimp death), that's why I've decided to give them a single meal daily, or depending of water quality to feed them once every 2 days.

Apart from Hikari Shrimp pellets I feed them with small bits of Spirulina and/or Chlorella tablets (pure 100% dried algae) for human use. Chlorella is wall-cracked so it's better usable by their digestive system (and ours, btw). This could be a viable solution for algae-free tanks. I've noticed that also my 2 bamboo shrimps come to the feeding place to enjoy the Hikari pellets, although they grab them with difficulty with their "fans". A fine dispersed wave of Spirulina or Chlorella is also enjoyed by these big shrimps.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts