The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently bought some Algae Wafers (Hikari Brand) for my Red Cherry Shrimp and I was happy that they all swarmed it and started eating it *hooray big hit*

But when I went back to take it out at the 2 hour mark or so.. It exploded into god knows how many pieces because it was all mushy and now its everywhere on the gravel..

I try to take it out the pieces individually but its a pain in the *** because the shrimp keep hoarding on it and I'm worried the mushy pieces are going to pollute the water and kill them...

What should I do? Should I be worried? How long can I leave it in there?

P.S: I have about 6 grown up shrimp and a LOT of baby shrimp (like 23).

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Check the bag to see if it has a warning on it about how long you should wait before you remove it. I find mine very easy to remove with a large syringe (think those meat tenderizer injector things) if there's any leftovers which almost never happens.

·
Registered
345 Posts
What size tank is it? And do you have good filtration on it? I break my algae wafers in half for smaller tank feedings, and they only get fed three times a week.
I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you've been overfeeding daily. It sounds like you have enough shrimp in the tank to clean up the mess. And don't feed for a few days now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, those wafers do that. Just take some small gauge tubing and squeeze it with your thumb to limit the flow. If you accidentally suck up a baby shrimp, cut off the flow entirely and drain the hose (reverse flow) back into your tank. Gravity will do the work for you. No harm done.

·
Registered
782 Posts
:icon_neut The thing with shrimps is that most have bad table manners.... they will drag of any food they can carry off of a dish.

I personally would just syphon out the gunky waffer into a pitcher and then scoop any shrimpy back into the tank.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies.

I removed the big chunks of wafers with a mini syringe meat baster thing (something that came with an Ammonia test kit) [No worries I rinsed it VERY thoroughly lol]

I didn’t bother to suck up the smaller chunks because baby shrimp were all up on it.

They seemed to eat the rest of the small bits now that I woke up in the morning.

Lesson learned… I'm totally going to break the wafer in 2 or 3 pieces from now on.
Time to remove the mini chunks now, thank you all.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I break them up into small pieces to feed, because as said, a shrimp always wants to grab a piece and run away with it, so smaller pieces makes it easier for them to run away with a piece. I don't feed many because they do get mushy quick and suck them up after with a turkey baster. Thats if the snails don't swarm it and eat it all first which usually happens. lol.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
yea those circle algea tablets are way TOO big for shrimps... they are meant for BIG plecos. (barely otos). because mine turned into big cloudy white fungus looking after like 4 days in water.
You should never leave any food in your tank for 4 days. If its not eaten within a few hours most say to take it out. I usually wait till the next morning and suck up any uneaten food.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I usually check the food at the 2 hour mark (like it says on the package)

However, if they are still nibbing at it I let them eat it until the morning and take it out lol...

4 days is a bit overkill so yeah.. and white fungus will contribute to water pollution so that isn't good..

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
I usually check the food at the 2 hour mark (like it says on the package)

However, if they are still nibbing at it I let them eat it until the morning and take it out lol...

4 days is a bit overkill so yeah.. and white fungus will contribute to water pollution so that isn't good..
hehehehe sorry for my noobieness

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As said, use smaller pieces or have some kind of dish for them.

I just give my shrimp 1/4 or 1/3 of a piece and they will finish that off.
I tried using a sushi dish (the one where you put soy sauce in) but I was wondering why they have a hard time reaching the food if you don't cover the deep gap with substrate (as you recommended to do).

What is the science or physics behind it? I'm curious...

I'm undecided of whether I should use the dish or just plop a fraction of the food in... (I think I'm going to just plop the food in but I just want to know why I would have to fill a shot glass or dish with substrate)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.