The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK we can start with the "stupid me" part. After Sunday's water change in my 55 planted, I forgot to plug the filter back in. Now, 2 days later, I have stressed fish and an outbreak of ich.

Researching, I find a great deal of conflicting information, but it boils down to higher temps and salt. I know this is effective, but the only other time I had ich, 5 years ago, the treatment really decimated my plants. I probably used the highest recommended dose, and for over a week.

So - what amount of salt will effectively treat the ich without destroying my beautiful tank?

Currently it is home to a 7" pleco, 7 otos and 24 neons.

Not sure of all the plants but they include water sprite, crypts, annubias, swords, bacopa, ludwigia, pennywort, baby tears and an onion plant.

I know there are meds to treat ich, but I'd rather not use them if possible. I'd prefer not to turn the silicone green and they are hard on the fish.

Thanks for any advice.

Julia

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Treating "Ich" Early

Hello JSA...

A tablespoon of standard aquarium salt per gallon is the recommended dose for treating "Ich". Just maybe you've caught the virus in the early stages and won't need to add any salt. Gradually raise the temperature in your tank to 86 degrees over the next 48 hours and increase the aeration in the tank. Sometimes heat alone will be enough to kill the virus.

B

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your plants still might suffer but should bounce back. do you have an empty tank to do the salt and heat treatment in there? If you leave your planted tank empty for 10 days it should be ich free then.
Sigh. Normally I would, but my hospital tank is in use due to a problem in my other tank. This has not been a good week, fishwise.

I'm thinking 1 Tablespoon per 10 gallons with temp at 85F. Is that enough salt? Will that level kill my plants?

Julia

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I think even at a level of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons your plants will be fine. the only one that scares me is the baby tears. Maybe just keep an eye on it. For signs of wilting with the heat and salt. good luck

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks coffeegirl. I'm thinking you're right, but we'll see. I decided to split the difference at 8 Tablespoons for 50 gallons. I lowered the water level to increase splash for aeration, and the substrate, rocks, etc. probably take another few gallons, so I figured at 50 instead of at 55 gal.

I'm gradually raising the temp as well, and before I started adding the salt, I removed the baby tears some of my other plants without deep roots, and tossed them in a translucent plastic storage bin with the removed tank water. I'm hoping they will survive on my back screen porch until I've got the ich out of the tank. According to my reading, there shouldn't be any viable parasites remaining by that time.

Well, this will be an interesting experiment. Many lessons being learned this week!

Julia

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Sigh. Normally I would, but my hospital tank is in use due to a problem in my other tank. This has not been a good week, fishwise.

I'm thinking 1 Tablespoon per 10 gallons with temp at 85F. Is that enough salt? Will that level kill my plants?

Julia
Yes, 1tbs/10 G is fine... It's more like 30 days to get rid of ich, not 10.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
At 64 degrees the life cycle takes 10-12 days to complete. at 86 degrees ich stops reproducing. at 90 degrees ich dies. the life cycle of ich is increased also in warmer water. and if there was no available fish in a tank for the swarmer s to attack i think 10 days even in 78 degree water would be clear. I have done heat/salt treatment a couple times with fish that were infected when i bought them. The best advice is always quarantine. I hope your plants survive in the tub.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody. The life cycle of the critters in the back porch tub will be sped up too. Here in Florida it gets pretty warm this time of year, even in the shade. I'll post again in a few days and let you all know how it's going.

Julia

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
The cycle is 10-12 days but it doesn't mean your treatment will kill 100% of the ich within that time span. If you add fish after 10 days, it's most likely will get REinfected.

Ich lives in several stages. The trophozoite stage is where it falls off the fish and hangs out in the substrate. The 'treatment' only kills the free swimming phase.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heat concern

It seems my heater will not raise the temp above 84.5F. I've had it turned up to the max all day, and that's it. Given that I have essentially a half-strength dose of salt in there, will this temp be adequate to eradicate the ich?

I have some Quick Cure (malachite green and formalin). Should I add that at half strength as advised for neons?

My fishies look worse today than they did yesterday!

Julia

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Yeah, half strength on the quick cure. 85F is fine too. With the combo of heat, salt and quick cure, you'll be fine. It'll take a month for the fishes heal and be healthy again. Make sure to do regular water changes.

It's the easiest disease to cure.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Some species can handle A LOT more salt than others, 7-11ppt for many weeds.

No plant likes salt really.....it adds an energy cost to them to try and maintain their internal ion balance while the external salt is trying to drive into the plant.

There are other better methods for addressing Ich.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I added the Quick Cure this morning before I left for work. This evening they all seem to be tolerating it, but the ich looks worse than ever. I'm thinking to heck with the plants, I need to increase the salt. It's been 2 days that I've been treating. Am I rushing things?

Julia

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
A non-salt, non-meds, non-heat method is using a UV sterilizer. It'll wipe out any ich.
+1 for UV sterilizer

I use a UV sterilizer in any tank that I have inverts in. That way if I do have a problem, like Ich, I can stop it before it can take hold in the tank and I do not have to use chemicals that may be harmful to my shrimps and snails. Also, many fish medications are not recommended for use in tanks that have scaleless fish (loaches...) and a sterilizer can be used with pretty much any tank inhabitant and be 100% safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.