The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not really, membrane is now giving more TDS, so you will have to change resin more frequently. Check your TDS without DI module with both membranes, you will see difference. DI always gives TDS=0 (when working), but resin will get unusable quicker.

What!!!? Membrane is giving more tds?

If you have a 90gpd unit... It's because the flow restrictor and membrane are rated at that. This is why you can upgrade them as the OP did.

He will produce more water daily at the same tds, which is what he asked and/or wanted. Common sense says that if you make more water wether it's over one day or two your sediment and carbon and DI resin will wear out as you use them.

Your statement is like saying that buying a 180gpd unit will give you a higher end tds than buying a 90gpd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Depending on the RO membrane and what it is capable of doing (volume H2O/Time) will be the only draw back. If the membrane is rated at 80 gpd and you are trying to push 100 gpd through it, your water quality will go down and your resin tanks will be exhausted at a much faster rate. The resin tanks, are they a mixed bed resin or anion/cation ?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I guess you mean correct answers ;)

So long as the membrane and restrictor are the same nothing else changes. Make sure your psi is correct. Obviously making more water daily will wear out your carbon,sediment, and resin quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my research agrees with you, so
correct and to the point!

The more I thought about it....
hmmm the housing is the same size for the membranes, the canisters are the same sizes and materials, so it has to be the flow restrictor and the membrane rating. Everything else is a constant!

Depending on the RO membrane and what it is capable of doing (volume H2O/Time) will be the only draw back. If the membrane is rated at 80 gpd and you are trying to push 100 gpd through it, your water quality will go down and your resin tanks will be exhausted at a much faster rate. The resin tanks, are they a mixed bed resin or anion/cation ?
I bought a 24gpd off CL for cheap. NIB.
I had a fairly new 75GPD membrane and 500ml restrictor from another RO unit so I put the 75 and 500ml on the 24GPD unit.

TDS out of the 75gpd membrane is 2-3ppm and out of the DI is 0ppm...so it works.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I bought a 24gpd off CL for cheap. NIB.
I had a fairly new 75GPD membrane and 500ml restrictor from another RO unit so I put the 75 and 500ml on the 24GPD unit.

TDS out of the 75gpd membrane is 2-3ppm and out of the DI is 0ppm...so it works.

Didn't imply it wouldn't work, what I was trying to say is you can't get 100 gpd out of a 50gpd RO membrane with out it leaking TDS over. If you increase pressure you may be able to but you would decrease the life span of the membrane.

Whats an RO membrane cost these days? I have several prefilters, cotton wound 30 micron sediment, 10 micron carbon, 5 micron carbon, 1 micron, then it goes into an anion cartridge, then another 1 micron filter before going through 2 one cubic feet of mixed bed resin. The system has been up and running for several years and I go through a lot of water daily.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Didn't imply it wouldn't work, what I was trying to say is you can't get 100 gpd out of a 50gpd RO membrane with out it leaking TDS over. If you increase pressure you may be able to but you would decrease the life span of the membrane.

Whats an RO membrane cost these days? I have several prefilters, cotton wound 30 micron sediment, 10 micron carbon, 5 micron carbon, 1 micron, then it goes into an anion cartridge, then another 1 micron filter before going through 2 one cubic feet of mixed bed resin. The system has been up and running for several years and I go through a lot of water daily.
Correct also.

You can "overclock" a membrane by increasing pressure and temperature. But if you raise the temp. too high you will cook the membrane.

New membrane is $25-35.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.