The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all :)

I am in the process of setting up a 55 gallon freshwater high water flow tank. Ultimatley 660gph + and hr.
I am going to use white sand, pea gravel, larger pond rocks, and driftwood for the substrate.

I would absolutely love to incorporate as many varieties of aquatic plants as I can in this setup as some of these aquascapes are so beautiful. I have a 10 gal. tank packed with plants. Wisteria, anachris, amazon sword, micro sword, lucky bamboo ... they are planted in 1.5-2" of smaller aquarium gravel and have pretty long roots on most of them that spread out.

My ultimate question I guess is as long as these plants are secured somehow into the sand well enough with the water flow will they mind being constantly blasted with water currents? Planting in sand seems an issue with such a high water flow... any advise or recommendations on plants for this setup is surely appreciated or techniques ...
Thanks!

----
-More info below.

The goal is to effectively house various types of Gastromyzon aka (fancy plecos, borneo suckers, hong kong plecos etc) and freshwater gobies. Both are river fish and love high oxygen and high water flow. My goal is to turn the tank between 10 and 15 times an hour. Right now its at about 7, I have a Marineland 3stage canister 220gph and 1 powerhead at about 160gph, still working out the placement and will probably have to add another powerhead.

Anyways the water will be moving a bit aimed at mostly the bottom level since thats where the rocks and most the driftwood will be

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I would research the biotope of the fish and check what plants grow there.
A whole bunch of plants don't seem to mind high current: H. corymbosa Angustifolia, taller crypts, cabomba family do just fine.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
i had seen a thread in which the keeper of the tank (i think it was 6 feet wide.. could've been a 4ft 55 tho...) laid pvc tubing in series on the bottom of the empty tank, fitted those with prefilters on one end and powerheads on the other end.

most systems seem to toss water erratically, this one was the truest river type set-up i'd seen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the quick replies :) I will take this list with me when I go shopping next.

@steven p .. i've seen the type of river tank setup your describing and it seems like a great flow sort of using the undergravel capabilities of the powerheads but re-routing the output to the ends ... have also seen timers built into different heads and circulation pumps which is also neat.

I'm not sure what kind of piping you can use in the aquarium to create regular pvc my koi don't mind it...

·
Registered
305 Posts
How about Anubias? Has anyone ever kept them in high-current before? I have two Anubias Nana, the one that's on the quiet corner of the tank grows well, but the one that's directly under the filter flow grows really fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts