The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I live in. South texas and I have a 125 planted tank(not a lot of plants) and some tropical fish now my concern is that now that the summer is getting closer my tank is at 85 degrees. I have a wooden canopy and a sump under the stand and am running 4 23 watt cfl bulbs. Does the temp have a big effect on plants and fish? Also if so what can I do about the temp as using a usb fan seems impractical on a tank this big

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the winter it get about 45 40 on cold days but in the winter I have a heater on the tank and the temp changes with the room temp as the day goes by but the warmest I've seen it is 85 like it is now

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hello everyone I live in. South texas and I have a 125 planted tank(not a lot of plants) and some tropical fish now my concern is that now that the summer is getting closer my tank is at 85 degrees. I have a wooden canopy and a sump under the stand and am running 4 23 watt cfl bulbs. Does the temp have a big effect on plants and fish? Also if so what can I do about the temp as using a usb fan seems impractical on a tank this big

Plenty of plants and fish can survive (and even thrive) at temps of 85 or even higher. But if you're concerned, there are some steps you can take. The canopy is likely holding in some heat so if you can open that up you might see the temp drop a bit. You'd probably also be surprised how much a little air movement over the water surface can lower the temp. I've had decent success lowering tank temps using fans like this:

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
With the extremely low humidity in our area, I find I can get enough cooling on my 125 with just a single computer fan. They run $4-5 at Fry's for new or I get one from an old computer. The power supply is often an old 12VDC from some old electronics or I pick one up at Goodwill for two dollars.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Those lights are putting off a ton of heat. Vented slots in the top of the canopy and a fan up there is a good start. If you can pass air from one side to the other, it will help. I ran into heat issues with my CFLs over my 75g. You can also evaporate water in the sump area. Fans blowing directly over the top of the sump to evaporate water is a good idea, but make sure your entire stand is water proof. I used appliance epoxy to water proof the underside of my stand. You'll also want ventilation down there with slots of fans.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Changing the design of the canopy may be needed. If it is solid in the back, I would look at cutting out most of the back. I build mine open to let the most air through and then use light diffuser panels to keep jumpers in the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.