The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a low tech aquarium? How do I turn my low tech setup into a high tech one? What qualifies it as high tech? These questions are still up in the air in my opinion. There are no set concepts that separate the two. Atleast, that more then 5 people can agree on. So, let us get down and see what each other think about this whole high tech/low tech "debate."

My thoughts...

A high tech setup is an aquarium that utilizes pressurized CO2.

A medium tech setup is an aquarium that utilizes DIY CO2, or CO2 dosing in liquid form.

A low tech setup is an aquarium that does not utilize CO2 injection in any form.

Can we come down to a conclusion we can all agree on between the differences of the two? Doing so would, in light of a some current banter, be helpful. Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I know there is a similar thread on this forum somewhere I saw it recently. But I just spent 10 mins search for it and no luck yet.

I remember it talking about the pros and cons of either low tech vs high tech or low light vs high light....but it mentioned faster plant growth vs more trimming etc...maybe some other posters can remember and find the thread

·
Registered
426 Posts
My thoughts...

A high tech setup is an aquarium that utilizes pressurized CO2.

A medium tech setup is an aquarium that utilizes DIY CO2, or CO2 dosing in liquid form.

A low tech setup is an aquarium that does not utilize CO2 injection in any form.
Here;s where I'd start:

A high tech setup is an aquarium that utilizes pressurized CO2, high light, and fert dosing.

A medium tech setup is an aquarium that utilizes pressurized or DIY CO2, low to medium light, and fert dosing.

A low tech setup is an aquarium that includes no CO2 or liquid CO2 dosing, low light, and no fert dosing.

It's just not about CO2, which is what your original post based everything on. You need to include the whole picture: CO2, lighting, and ferts before you can even begin classifying things. IMO, there's too many variables to come up with an exact classification for everyone's setup.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Where does a low light, no CO2, no Excel, EI tank fit into that last description?
I should have been more clear in my last sentence (which I'll edit). What the OP is trying to do is fit a square peg in a round hole. There's too many variables to cover every possibility.

Though, do people really do EI dosing on low light non co2/excel tanks??? I guess for the person that does, they are just as lost before reading my post as they were after!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think its better to separate light and CO2

Talk about setups as either Low, Medium or High Light
or
Injected CO2, DIY CO2, Excel, no added CO2
My thought exactly.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here;s where I'd start:

A high tech setup is an aquarium that utilizes pressurized CO2, high light, and fert dosing.

A medium tech setup is an aquarium that utilizes pressurized or DIY CO2, low to medium light, and fert dosing.

A low tech setup is an aquarium that includes no CO2 or liquid CO2 dosing, low light, and no fert dosing.

It's just not about CO2, which is what your original post based everything on. You need to include the whole picture: CO2, lighting, and ferts before you can even begin classifying things. IMO, there's too many variables to come up with an exact classification for everyone's setup.
Yes, I agree that we won't be able to classify ever setup, but I think we can get close.

The problem with looking at the entire picture like you mentioned is that there are to many variables. But, if you take CO2 into account, the others will follow. What I mean by that is, a person doesn't invest in a pressurized CO2 system if they don't have alot of light and fertilizers, do they? And, if they don't have CO2, they probably don't have a high intensity of light or a high concentration of fertilizers.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Now how would I classify my tank? I run alot of high tech equipment but the lighting is probably a low intensity with the depth of my tank.

High tech but low light?

Craig

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Now how would I classify my tank? I run alot of high tech equipment but the lighting is probably a low intensity with the depth of my tank.

High tech but low light?

Craig
yeh
Low light, with lots of tech equipment I'd say is

a High Tech, Low Light set up.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

High tech but low light?

Craig
High tech. Lotsa light, (three 70w metal halides, right?) and pressurized CO2. You still have alot of light even if the depth of the tank limits the amount reaching the substrate.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I should have been more clear in my last sentence (which I'll edit). What the OP is trying to do is fit a square peg in a round hole. There's too many variables to cover every possibility.
Agreed.

Though, do people really do EI dosing on low light non co2/excel tanks??? I guess for the person that does, they are just as lost before reading my post as they were after!
Once upon a time, I did. Unusual circumstances though.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
A high tech setup is an aquarium that utilizes pressurized CO2 and High light with plant specifc substrate

A medium tech setup is an aquarium that utilizes CO2 dosing in liquid form, with medium lighting. Might use plant specific substrate or root tabs.

A low tech setup is an aquarium that does not utilize CO2 injection in any form, and low light.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think the whole thing revolves around the "tech."

"Technology" is science driven, regardless of time or effort spent. And applied science is all about manipulation of the natural processes, that's what it is. So, the more you, as the hobbyist manipulate the natural process the more high-tech your set up is.

calculating WPG, CO2, fert ammounts, calcifying soil, supplementing Iron, are all manipulating the natural process.

So, in a NPT, for example, since the goal is to manipulate the natural environment as little as possible it is low tech. Whereas high-tech systems require more demanding attention and manipulation to more aspects of the natural environment.

And, of course, the only no-tech systems are those in nature.

Also, this is in no way meant as a commentary or implication that "manipulating nature" is good, bad, smart or silly. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm admittedly new to planted tanks, but I've been considering one of my tanks low tech, simply because I run a ghetto rigged home made spray bar on a power head with a sponge, I have T8 lights, and DIY CO2, and truthfully I feel silly considering those low grade components anything but low tech, med tech just seems like a stretch to make it sound less Mickey Mouse.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
no matter how you bat this around it's a wash anyway.
Too many variables, starting with the fact it's all opinion based to start with.
Modified EI gets dosed in low tech tanks all the time based on posts I've read. :hihi: Gas is also applied below maximum lighting level as well.
Here's the other one currently running on this topic.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/b...5975-low-high-tech-confusion.html#post1489137

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
EI is not for non CO2 tanks.........it was not intended for them.
No method can be all things to all goals.

I modified dosing to make a water column dosing routine for non CO2 tanks more applicable:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2817-Non-CO2-methods

But this is NOT EI........

EI is semi rage against the entire test kit techy approach and mls of this or that solution. It is a low tech approach to nutrient management for sure.

So is my non CO2 (no excel either) tank a high tech tank or a low tech tank??

:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
EI is not for non CO2 tanks.........it was not intended for them.
No method can be all things to all goals.

I modified dosing to make a water column dosing routine for non CO2 tanks more applicable:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2817-Non-CO2-methods

But this is NOT EI........

EI is semi rage against the entire test kit techy approach and mls of this or that solution. It is a low tech approach to nutrient management for sure.
Interesting; thanks for posting that. I've been modifying EI + Excel for a low/med light RCS tank with light feedings but am running into a deficiency. Sounds like K but not sure since I'm also dosing K2SO4. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/f...eters/145775-k-deficiency-low-light-tank.html

Back on topic: Someone mentioned plant-specific substrate as a qualifier. I'm running CO2, EI, and variable high light over an inert substrate. Is this suddenly not high tech?

Strikes me as more of an optional thing than a proper qualifier.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
We all have electromagnetic pumps and phosphor coated bulbs. This all sounds high tech to me.

I say we just don't classify tanks as high and low tech.

High and low light is more appropriate in my opinion. The light dictates whether we add CO2 and how much nutrients.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.