The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I finally setup a new tank. Hope you enjoy. Please feel free to give me any advice. Thanks!

Here’s the hardscape I ended up going with. It consisted of Frodo stone, spider wood, and ada La plata sand. I’m not the happiest about the selection I got of Frodo stone but I had to work with what I got in the mail.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Equipment list
-UNS 45U
-UNS glass stand
-oase filtosmart thermal 200
-DOOA sol stand rgb light
-GLA co2 regulator
-DOOA mini co2 diffuser

Substrate
-Ada powersand basic
-Tropica soil

Water
-aquatic life twist rodi system

Plants
-rotala hra
-rotala rotundifolia green
-microsorium trident Java fern
-hygrophila pinnatifida
-anubius nana petite
-cryptocoryne wendtii tropica
-cryptocoryne petchii
-cyperus helferi
-bucephalandra kedagang red
-hellanthium tenellum green

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here it is planted. The cyperus helferi came with the tops cut off, I’m not too sure if it will be successful as I’ve read they usually die if you cut them from the tops. Any input?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Week 2

So I decided to change the scape a tad bit. The square rock in the front of the scape was really bothering me and looked really out of place and unnatural to me. So I decided to remove it and move it off to the side and put it in place of the big rock on the side. Unfortunately I didn’t get to hand select the Frodo stone, I ordered it online. I also decided to put soil on the front and side and leave the front right corner sand so I can add hellanthium tenellum as a carpeting plant. I think it will turn out real nice. I replaced the cyperus helferi with a different batch as the seller from the first batch cut off the tops for some odd reason and I read they won’t survive unless you cut it from the base. Otherwise everything is growing in great. Zero algae issues, I have been doing 30-50% water changes every day. I have been having surface scum though which I’m in the search for a glass 12/16 surface skimmer lily pipe that’s shorter then 11-12 inches long, so if someone can recommend one to me that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update 12-12-20

Anyone have issues with hellanthium tenellum growing slow? I’ve read it’s a decently quick grower but it seems to not have rooted at all yet. Besides that all the plants have been growing quick. The hygrophila might need a trim before anything else as it’s growing in quick. No algae issues

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update 1-11-21
Finally added the livestock! I started seeing a little bit of hair algae and decided to swap my fish/shrimp from the old tank over since the tank was pretty much done for. Let me tell you the amano shrimp and the red onyx neocardinia not only ate all of the algae, they also ate off almost all of the wood fungus in about a week! For some reason all of the crypts melted so I decided to trim them down. Luckily they seem to be sprouting new leaves. I also added some crypt wendti green in some little empty spots which I always have had luck with. Also every water change I’m lean dosing the tank with .25 mg of tropica specialized. I’m doing around 2 water changes a week around 30-50%. Also did a filter cleaning and replaced the seachem purigen packet. Here’s the livestock list

1 peapuffer
2 glowlight rasboras
4 kubotai rasboras
1 hillstream loach
5 amano shrimp
15 red onyx neocardinia shrimp

1 - 14 of 14 Posts