The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a high-tech, heavily planted tank about 2 years ago. UNS 40C cube, 16 gallons. Pressurized CO2 at 1 bps (blue drop checker, but plants still pearl). RO water with Salty shrimp GH+ to GH 5-6. TDS usually in the 130s. Ph 6.5ish. Kessil light. All easy plants, like crypts, hygros, marselia, anubias, java fern, etc. Very light bioload, just about 8 dwarf gold barbs and 10 amanos that keep it super clean. Three pumps of ThriveS with each weekly 30% water change (aged and left to breathe for 48 hours).

I really wanted to have dwarf shrimp in the tank. I went away from neos based on the ph, although now I wonder if I should have just bumped the GH up and gone with them instead. In any event, I got talked into tangerine tigers based on the ph and I fell in love with them. From the color to the consistent breeding, they were awesome. Trouble is that I couldn't keep them alive. I had heard they were tough and mine just kept on dying.

I was convinced it was the CO2. I did hours of research on shrimp and CO2. Posted numerous threads. I will tell you that it is miserable trying to make sense of it all. It's not just a situation where experienced folks are saying no and inexperienced folks are saying yes. It's two groups of experienced folks arguing different sides of the same coin. So I gave up.

Come to find out it wasn't the CO2, at least at the levels I was running. It was the damn fertilizer. And I'm not just jumping to that conclusion; I tested it out. I had been told by multiple people that I could use Thrive+ (which is amazing for plants, btw) as long as I kept up with the water changes. I don't think that is good advice. I switched over to ThriveS, which has very little nitrate and phosphate, and I've seen a DRAMATIC difference. I know it is a little silly and obvious to say "use the shrimp-safe fert" but it really is the truth. My plants are a little less red and don't grow quite as lush or fast, but the compromise is worth it.

Hope that helps others looking to have TTs in a "relatively" high tech tank.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I know many shrimp keepers report using Thrive in their tanks... and I know there's regular Thrive and Thrive for shrimp... never knew it could make that much of a difference!

Glad you were able to figure things out and the colony is doing well now!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know many shrimp keepers report using Thrive in their tanks... and I know there's regular Thrive and Thrive for shrimp... never knew it could make that much of a difference!

Glad you were able to figure things out and the colony is doing well now!
Thanks! Definitely worth it to have the shrimp happier (and alive-ier!). I would note that my ludwigia ovalis and hygro pinnatifida are not nearly as red as they were, which is a shame. But can't have the cake and eat it too i suppose...

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Very nice tank shot! I’m debating the switch from regular Thrive to ThriveS. I have a high tech setup so probably should have been using Thrive+. Couldn’t you dose a little more and still get good plant growth?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to agree the tank looks amazing.

I’m puzzled by these observations:
-the tank appears to be filled to the brim
-the tank is brightly lit
-there is no hood extending beyond the tank glass

Hence I have to ask...where does all that light come from!? Can you please post a pic shot from above?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
Really beautiful tank.

As one more data point. I am using the regular Thrive and have about 20 Red Cherry shrimp who are all doing well. I do a weekly 30-50% water change. I inject CO2 with an inline diffusor with just enough to get the drop-checker to turn green.

Plants are doing well, especially since adding Excell daily, which along with turning the CO2 up a bit completely took care of a growing case of staghorn algae.

Glad to hear that ThriveS is working for you. Perhaps different shrimp have different sensitivities?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

Hence I have to ask...where does all that light come from!? Can you please post a pic shot from above?

From the shadow in the back, to me, it appears to be over head like a pendant light. Just not shown in the photo. OP will chime in about it soon I bet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really beautiful tank.

As one more data point. I am using the regular Thrive and have about 20 Red Cherry shrimp who are all doing well. I do a weekly 30-50% water change. I inject CO2 with an inline diffusor with just enough to get the drop-checker to turn green.

Plants are doing well, especially since adding Excell daily, which along with turning the CO2 up a bit completely took care of a growing case of staghorn algae.

Glad to hear that ThriveS is working for you. Perhaps different shrimp have different sensitivities?
I think that's right. I hear several people say that neos have a much higher tolerance for nitrates among other things. I read an article that noted that tigers and bees come from clean, clear streams and neos come from stagnant pools, the latter having higher ph swings, nitrates and other nutrients, etc. Who knows? I can say that, in my experience alone, tangerine tigers do not do well with higher levels of nitrates. Otherwise, they seem hearty. I'm sure there are others who know more and could comment. Hard to get advice about something like a TT though since everyone seems obsessed with high grade CRS, etc. Sometimes there is beauty in the basic breeds!

Bump:

So, with this tank, I think that the aesthetics are much better with it filled within 1/2" of the rim. I have a leveling mat and a brace from Lowe's ($20.00) under the desk to keep it level and secure. The lily pipe is kind of buried in the plants and I use a surface skimmer on the intake, so the turbulence at the water line is minimal. I think it makes for a nicer looking tank. It also reduces the maintenance I have to do to scrap down the minerals from the top glass line. I have a kessil a160 mounted on the bottom of the shelf over the tank. This tank is actually difficult to size to a light. The Twinstars and other lights that fit it just don't do a good job of lighting the bottom, and I have a marselia-parva carpet that needs good light. I run the light on 100% power and 100% color (I don't care for the red spectrum too much) and it does great. Probably a little strong for all the trident fern in there but its fine. Carpet sure appreciates it. I used to run a Kessil A80 but it wasn't enough light for the carpet. Really took off when I upgraded to the A160.

Bump:
Very nice tank shot! I’m debating the switch from regular Thrive to ThriveS. I have a high tech setup so probably should have been using Thrive+. Couldn’t you dose a little more and still get good plant growth?
I get good growth with three pumps per 2.5 gallon weekly water change. But, there's no doubt that Thrive+ gives better growth with all the nitrate and phosphate. If you don't have sensitive shrimp, that stuff is awesome. I was trimming out double handfuls of plants and moss each week with Thrive+. Much less now, but its a good and worthwhile balance with the shrimp. I guess its possible to do Thrive+ and tigers/bees but I think the margin for error is pretty low. Just my experience.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts