The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I have a 45 JBJ aio with a 24 inch finnex planted plus hlc. Fluval stratum substrate. Tank will have co2 within next few days.
my question is, is my light strong enough to help grow plants and possibly carpet? Do I need 2 lights? Maybe a different light?
I’m new to live plants and just want them to thrive. Thank you for suggestions.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I saw a review saying your light produces 68 par at 18" under the light but 22 par at 6 inches off center. So you could grow hair grass carpet or similar easy carpet plants but you would struggle getting full coverage with more demanding carpet plants.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
From light to substrate average is about 18-19 inches
I don't think the light is strong enough for most carpets at that depth. @minorhero, where did you see those PAR numbers? I have the 24/7 CC which is very similar and there's no way it would be in the 60s at that depth. Was the review for the 24" one.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Different light. That chart is for the "dumb" planted plus.

This is better..

All channels on full at 9.5" 127PAR. 20" light
At 2x that depth est. PAR is around 50-ish.
Inv. square rule isn't really applicable to leds in this range at least in my opinion though that would roughly be 127/4 = 32PAR.

One more, what I orig tried to find:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Assuming 40 par directly under the light and at least 18 or so towards the edges of the tank, you would still be able to carpet with hairgrass but I'd maintain that more demanding plants would not grow. I'm currently growing a hairgrass and microsword carpet with 25 par under the light and 15 to 18 around the edges in my newt tank. Its not zooming by any means, but it is definitely growing in. Likely I will have a decent carpet in another 4 or 5 months at present growth rate.

Same tank 2 months ago when first planted:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.