The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Twinstar Series S on my UNS 75p 36 gallon aquarium. I've been running this light since June 2021 without CO2. So I had a high light situation with no CO2. With this light, I set myself at a daily cycle of:

5% intensity at 2:00pm
100% intensity at 3:00pm
5% intensity at 7:00pm
0% intensity at 8:00pm

This was going pretty well for me without having CO2 being injected into my aquarium. I was fighting algae at first for a while when I ramped up starting at 11am and ended at 9pm, only hitting 100% at like 1pm and ramping back down, but once I switched to this new cycle, I had no more algae breakouts.

Flash forward to this weekend, I received my GLA Pro Series CO2 kit and I put together my first CO2 system. Now, I've heard that with the addition of CO2, you need to increase your lighting period to make up for the accelerated growth of your plants. Something along those lines, I'm still very amateur in the plant-keeping world. I know that it's now about balancing CO2, nutrients, and lighting. What is the ideal light period to maintain optimal growth without causing an algae outbreak? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think there are any number of ways to skin this cat, but here's what I do: 8 hours at x intensity with a 5min ramp at either end.

I'm sure there may be merits to peak and lower intensity periods, but they make it kind of a pain when you want to tweak things. Do you raise the peak? Stretch the peak's duration? Raise the lower intensity times and leave the peak alone? etc... I like being able to say, "I think these plants could use more light" and change x intensity to y intensity.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think there are any number of ways to skin this cat, but here's what I do: 8 hours at x intensity with a 5min ramp at either end.

I'm sure there may be merits to peak and lower intensity periods, but they make it kind of a pain when you want to tweak things. Do you raise the peak? Stretch the peak's duration? Raise the lower intensity times and leave the peak alone? etc... I like being able to say, "I think these plants could use more light" and change x intensity to y intensity.
Dang there's a whole science to this haha. I'm a bit overwhelmed with trying to get everything correct, but thank you for the input! I'll follow your directions and try and get everything dialed in.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
heard that with the addition of CO2, you need to increase your lighting period to make up for the accelerated growth of your plants.
You don't "need" to afaict.
Matter of fact sometimes low (er) light with co2 is easier to manage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts