The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Tank Journal. I have been messing around with aquariums over the past 2 years and have come up with a number of things. I first started with a "semi low-tech" 5.5g tank. That tank is now the home of some 40 baby-full grown fancy guppies which fortunately are going to the LFS to be sold. I then saw a vivarium on this website and fell immediately in love with them. I did my research and set out to make a 18"cube viv. It has 4 dendrobates ventrimaculatus, which are popping out tadpoles like nobodies business. After that i decided i was ready to get into reef keeping. I felt like keeping freshwater and poison-dart frog aquariums was enough experience for me to set up my first saltwater tank. After way, WAY to much money and countless hours of research i put something together that I was happy with. It's now growing and maintaining itself with a few water changes and such. So now what?.. I decided to go back to where this whole passion started and make a freshwater tank I am proud of.

About 3 months ago I bought a 4.67g from a LFS here in edmonton. I had just the idea and knew exactly what i wanted. I wanted it to be kept extremely simple and clean, i was gonna get lilys and an external heater and everything. The tank is more high than it is wide so it gives it a very unique shape, inlike the standard wider tanks. I imagined a micro-scale landscape with alot of untouched water volume in it. That is why i named it "High Skies". I imagine little fish like boraras merah schooling up in the higher part of the tank while a smaller shrimp species is on the bottom grazing. I bought everything i needed to set it up and planted when i got home. And this is what i came up with.

I didnt have CO2 at the time so i decided to grow emersed and waited patiently until christmas.

Here is a top pick about 1 month in.

And Finally Christmas came, i got exactly what i wanted.. go figure. . haha and i set up what i call my 1st freshwater tank.

sorry about the quality, all were taken on my iphone.

*Gasp of releif* I finally have put somewhat of a tank journal together. Ill post my equipment and everything i plan on doing with it later on. Thanks.

Dylan.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Ya, i have some flamemoss i bought of ebay im tempted to put it. Just to see how it looks when it grows not in a glass on my window sill haha.

And Reng, i'll be posting some pics tomorrow probably. The back is a little under grown, but its started to take which is good.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I donno. I havnt thought about that yet. Maybe I'll stick a glossy black bAckground on it. None of those cheesy planted backgrounds though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, i am using UG. that small short hair grass plant that is carnivorous.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UG melted!?

Hey everyone. I have run into some problems. My UG is all gone! It is literally brown mush all over my tank. Does anyone know what could of been wrong with it? My params are all fine. It just started melting one day and didnt stop.. I need answers fast please!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ooh, I love it, it's like a little mesa rising out of the desert.

Hey everyone. I have run into some problems. My UG is all gone! It is literally brown mush all over my tank. Does anyone know what could of been wrong with it? My params are all fine. It just started melting one day and didnt stop.. I need answers fast please!
Don't give up on it yet! If you grew it emersed, it's just adjusting to the conversion to submersed. UG gets upset when it transitions from air to water, but don't worry, it should recover quickly. Same thing happened to me in a nano where I used UG as a groundcover. I bet you'll see new leaves soon.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok that sounds good. I only have a few pieces left. Do you still think it will recover?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.