The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've used HPS before, but in combination with MVs to balance the spectrum. The HPSs handle the reds quite readily while the MVs cover the blue quite well, and there isn't too much energy going into the greens.

But as to appearance, they're like using a very warm flourescent.

Right now, though, I'm using simple Lithonia 100W MHs sold as security lights from Home Depot...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You can definitely use HPS over a planted tank but just as jaafaman said, it looks realllllly warm/yellow.

You can balance that out very easily by using a single blue fluorescent, like a single strip T5HO light, any 460nm blue "actinic" will work (NOT the true 420nm actinic violets).

You can also use royal blue LEDs, either premade blue actinic bulbs like you can buy at some reef specialty places, or just make a DIY version.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Since I'd have to mix it with something, I think I'll stick with my T5HOs. I was thinking of something that would give the shimmer effect. Maybe have to investigate LEDs.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Since I'd have to mix it with something, I think I'll stick with my T5HOs. I was thinking of something that would give the shimmer effect. Maybe have to investigate LEDs.
If you find a cheap halide of a similar wattage to your T5HO setup, that will also give you an insane shimmer, but you probably already knew that.

You don't need many LEDs to get the ripple. Maybe 1-2 Cree or Rebel 3-watt LED for every foot of tank. No optics.

You could easily do this very cheap using some of the off-brand 3-watt white LEDs and drivers from Dealextreme.com if you don't mind slow shipping. You do NOT need the latest and greatest stuff just for an accent strip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.