The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to the bottom of ongoing & very frustrating GSA issues in my low-tech 45L tank. I wanted to share this as it’s rarely mentioned in posts regarding high Phosphate readings.
After 6 months of battling with specifically GSA regardless of maintenance, frequent water changes & H202/Excel treatments, I only recently got hold of a Phosphate test kit & was alarmed to find readings 10ppm+.
It wasn’t until today when I was reading up about possible causes & PH buffers were mentioned. Something clicked, I read the label on the Hy-Gen brand of hydroponic based PH Down I’d been using & it’s active ingredient is Phosphoric Acid. Then read the label on a near empty API bottle of PH down & active ingredient is Sulfuric Acid.
Light bulb moment! Long story short did a near 100% water change, used the API PH Down & success Phosphorus 0.25ppm.
Very happy 😆
Ps My poor shrimp what they must have been through 😥

·
Registered
276 Posts
Finally got to the bottom of ongoing & very frustrating GSA issues in my low-tech 45L tank. I wanted to share this as it’s rarely mentioned in posts regarding high Phosphate readings.
After 6 months of battling with specifically GSA regardless of maintenance, frequent water changes & H202/Excel treatments, I only recently got hold of a Phosphate test kit & was alarmed to find readings 10ppm+.
It wasn’t until today when I was reading up about possible causes & PH buffers were mentioned. Something clicked, I read the label on the Hy-Gen brand of hydroponic based PH Down I’d been using & it’s active ingredient is Phosphoric Acid. Then read the label on a near empty API bottle of PH down & active ingredient is Sulfuric Acid.
Light bulb moment! Long story short did a near 100% water change, used the API PH Down & success Phosphorus 0.25ppm.
Very happy 😆
Ps My poor shrimp what they must have been through 😥
I don't think the Phosphate hurt your shrimp in anyway. The 100% could have done more damage than the Phosphate, you should have taken it easier.

But anyways, how's the results now? Did the algae go away?

When you say GSA you mean Green Spot Algae, right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the Phosphate hurt your shrimp in anyway. The 100% could have done more damage than the Phosphate, you should have taken it easier.

But anyways, how's the results now? Did the algae go away?

When you say GSA you mean Green Spot Algae, right?
Your probably right about the 100% water change.
Although I use a holding tank to pump my water from with same parameters Including PH & temp. My shrimp don’t seem to be stressed with this ie. they don’t swim madly around the tank etc. and have healthy BB colony.
Yes only Green Spot Algae & will be a while until I see some improvement. Looking forward to some signs of plant growth in the next week or so.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Your probably right about the 100% water change.
Although I use a holding tank to pump my water from with same parameters Including PH & temp. My shrimp don’t seem to be stressed with this ie. they don’t swim madly around the tank etc. and have healthy BB colony.
Yes only Green Spot Algae & will be a while until I see some improvement. Looking forward to some signs of plant growth in the next week or so.
Glad your shrimp are felling good.

GSA is usually caused by high phosphate or low phosphate, try to keep it around 1ppm.

Do you have any other measurements like Nitrates, Potassium ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts