The Planted Tank Forum banner

High Phosphate in Tap Water

587 4
So, my tank has been up and running almost a week and generally things are going well (ammonia is at 1.5ppm having peaked at 2.0ppm, most likely due to the Aqua Soil Amazonia), nitrites stable at 2.0ppm, nitrates increasing (currently at 7.5ppm). All of that is pretty good and suggests that the filter is starting to cycle.

Then, the less good news, my phosphate test kit was delivered yesterday and the tank (and my tap water) are reading 2.0ppm. I wasn't necessarily expecting 0.0, but I'd hoped for 0.5ppm or less in the tap water. I was hoping to stay ahead of algae from the start, so I'm a little worried that this is on the high side (and obviously water changes won't help). Is this a high enough starting point that I should be thinking about reverse osmosis or distilled water for water changes?

Paul
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
So, my tank has been up and running almost a week and generally things are going well (ammonia is at 1.5ppm having peaked at 2.0ppm, most likely due to the Aqua Soil Amazonia), nitrites stable at 2.0ppm, nitrates increasing (currently at 7.5ppm). All of that is pretty good and suggests that the filter is starting to cycle.

Then, the less good news, my phosphate test kit was delivered yesterday and the tank (and my tap water) are reading 2.0ppm. I wasn't necessarily expecting 0.0, but I'd hoped for 0.5ppm or less in the tap water. I was hoping to stay ahead of algae from the start, so I'm a little worried that this is on the high side (and obviously water changes won't help). Is this a high enough starting point that I should be thinking about reverse osmosis or distilled water for water changes?

Paul
Hi Paul,
Your PO4 is not that high, 2ppm is Ok for a planted tank. I don't think you should have any problems. On the good side you won't have to dose it since it's already in your tap water :)

Can I ask what test are you using to measure Nitrates so precisely to the 0.5 of PPM?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
No problem with your tap water. My tap water has < 0.05 ppm and I have to add phosphate to my tanks to keep my plants growing and healthy.

When the time comes for you to add fertilizer, you probably won't need to add phosphate (as long as you are doing regular water changes). You will need to add nitrate, potassium and micros, however.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Paul,
Your PO4 is not that high, 2ppm is Ok for a planted tank. I don't think you should have any problems. On the good side you won't have to dose it since it's already in your tap water :)

Can I ask what test are you using to measure Nitrates so precisely to the 0.5 of PPM?

Thanks for the advice, that's a great point on not having to dose it.

I'm not measuring it that accurately, but the color is somewhere between the 5 and 10 values on the chart, so I recorded it as 7.5.

Paul

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks for the advice, that's a great point on not having to dose it.

I'm not measuring it that accurately, but the color is somewhere between the 5 and 10 values on the chart, so I recorded it as 7.5.

Paul
Ok, that makes sense now. Keep in mind that 10ppm Nitrates is kind of the bare minimum for a planted aquarium. 20ppm would be a much safer number just so you don't risk running too low, just a recommendation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.