The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am new to the site.
I have 130 gallon fully planted tank with tetras and rainbows and fluval Fx6. Recently the my water company has raised the PH level in Tap water up 8.8. So I went ahead and purchased a RO system and installed last night. Well out of RO system my GH and Kh are both around 2-3 dkh and my PH only came down to 8.4. I do not want to add PH down unless I absolutely have too. But I'm looking for help to lower to around 7.2-7.4. Please help

·
Registered
852 Posts
try a bag of peat moss in the filter.you can get peat pellets made specifically for this,but the moss works very well IME.it'll soften and lower the ph,though it might give the water a tea color.

·
Banned
525 Posts
A GH of 2dGH means that just the hardness elements (Ca++, Mg++) have a concentration in your RO output of around 45 ppm. Either your tap water has an extremely high TDS, the RO unit is faulty, or there is some error with the installation.

Consult with the RO manufacturer before doing anything else.

·
Banned
525 Posts
You should double check the pH from the RO unit. It should be closer to 5.6 pH. Do you have a TDS meter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately I do not have a TDS meter. And I just check it again and it is still at 8.4. I thought for sure since the RO strips the water down it would let the PH fall also but it has yet to happen. I have also flushed my RO 8 times in the last 24 hours to see if that would even help and it did not.

·
Banned
525 Posts
From here, I would purchase a TDS meter. It will help to determine what is happening. If you want to be sure that everything is being stripped from the water, also try to purchase an addon to your RO unit that will allow the use of DI resin.

But get the TDS meter first, because if the TDS is high from your RO unit, the DI resin will be used very quickly and push the cost of running the system up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You should really have a tds monitor to properly diagnose any issues with your membrane.

If the PH is higher then it once was then it's possible the performance of your r/o membrane is not putting out a nice low tds anymore.

·
Banned
525 Posts
What does a DI actually do?
A new RO membrane should be expected to have a performance around 96% or better. In other words, it strips 96% of the inorganic ions from the water.

DI resin will strip 100% of inorganic ions from the water using a different process then the RO membrane. The issue with DI resin is that it can only strip so much from the water, and then it's useless. By using an RO membrane first, you reduce the workload on the DI resin and increase it's lifespan considerably.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Water guy: thank you and I agree totally I plan on going out tomorrow to find a TDS meter. The RO system is brand new and was installed yesterday, Ph out of my facet is 8.8 and out of RO system is only down to 8.4.

Can you tell me where I could possibly find one these meters?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Audio nut: thank you for the explanation, but my question is would that 4% really keep my ph up that high?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I knows in a pool system you can add murradic acid to it lower the ph, can you do that same thing to water that would be added to the aquarium to lower the ph? Just curious

·
Registered
18 Posts
Water guy: thank you and I agree totally I plan on going out tomorrow to find a TDS meter. The RO system is brand new and was installed yesterday, Ph out of my facet is 8.8 and out of RO system is only down to 8.4.

Can you tell me where I could possibly find one these meters?

Just curious did you install this unit or have it installed by a water treatment company?

Aside from ordering a tds meter online I don't know if you can buy them at brick and mortar stores.. I've always gotten mine from work.

·
Banned
525 Posts
Audio nut: thank you for the explanation, but my question is would that 4% really keep my ph up that high?
Depends. I wouldn't expect to though, no. Which makes me believe there is an issue with the system or it's installation.

A cheap TDS meter from ebay or amazon will be fine. No need for some expensive thing.

How are you testing pH? Do you have some other method to test pH. Like an aquarium test kit, or another pH pen or something?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
So I knows in a pool system you can add murradic acid to it lower the ph, can you do that same thing to water that would be added to the aquarium to lower the ph? Just curious
No, aquarium water, with a KH above 1, and atmospheric CO2 dissolved in it will buffer against changes in pH.

I suspect the water company is adding lye or something similar to raise the pH to avoid having water with with an acidic pH, which would dissolve copper and lead to contaminate the water, and eventually erode away copper pipe. As I recall, the raised pH doesn't last long at all once the water is exposed to the air. So, the overnight degassed water may have a much lower pH.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts