The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I resealed my tank over a week ago, let it dry over 48hrs and it has been filled with water for over a week now. I used GE 100% silicone. It was hard to the touch before I filled it. It's still hard to the touch but if you rub it, it shedds! is this normal? I am freaking out!:icon_excl

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
183 Posts
Read the other post and saw the pic. My guess is you used a nice thick bead.?.? This flaking is not unusual. For a thicker seam it's best to wait about a week before sealing but I'm thinking you'll be ok. Please let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well..... I have an update..... Looks like I might have to reseal.:( Last night I rubbed down part of a seam with my finger and got it squeeky clean. I just got home from work and its "slimy" again. Almost like the water is melting it. I just rubbed the Slim/skin/flaky stuff off of a whole seam so the whole thing is clean. I guess I will see how it is in the morning but my nerves might get the better of me. I might get the actual aquarium silicone this time. I don't want to have to do it a 3rd time...If I do it now, at least I can move my plants back to the 29g in the meantime, before they get to big and established. This is a bummer...

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone seen silicone "melt" before? I guess it means I just got the wrong stuff? I did get 100% silicone with NO anti molding agent or anything else. One LFS told me that this only happens when you don't get the aquarium sealant. Another said,"If its not leaking, you should be Okay" haha

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I look at it this way now. I can start over and start a journal. Starting with RESEALING the tank, setting it up the way I want it now, and getting feed back and input along the way! I am going to head to a stream dow the street from my house with the wife on Thanksgiving morning, before seeing the fam and picking out some nice stones/rocks to really make the tank look good. This time I'm not jumping the gun and just "throwing" plants anywhere in the tank. I will start the journal tomorrow! This works in my favor also since I will be able to see the progress of the tank, along with everyone else here. It will ge great to get feed back along the way!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Silicone flakes should have no effect at all on pH, and acidic water, unless it is very acidic, like swimming pool acid, should not affect silicone. I don't think silicone can be expected to cure properly if it is under water, but I could be wrong about that. If I'm right, your silicone just didn't cure.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for replying, Hoppy. I know that it's not structurely sound right away. In the past, all I have waited was 48hrs and was always fine. That's why I am going to wait 72hrs this time.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hoppy/Eye,

Do you guys think I should wait longer then 72hrs? I waited 48hrs this past time. From what I have done in the past(years ago when I was a kid working at a LFS sealing 10g tanks) I have only had to wait 48hrs. I know there is a big dif of opinion on this topic... I figured that I would "re-seal" it Friday and fill it Monday. This way I get a full 72hrs. I'm not looking for structure since iys not a rimless tank. I am going to go with an aquarium grade this time and not the GE Silicone II, even though I do know that this stuff works. Maybe it was the humidity in my house... Who knows....

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is true. My wife keeps telling me the same thing. I should wait a full week. This way, I know it's done right and won't have to do it again. I just wanted it mor established before x-mas. 3 weeks of growth with those lights and the CO2 really shouldn't be too bad though. Yeah, I will wait a week. It will be painful though. :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.